cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 load balancing and OWA

ac-polymorph
Level 1
Level 1

I have a rv042 router with two internet connections. I have setp the WAN1 and WAN2 and set the load balance mode.

Surfing on internet is then not a problem and I checked that I was using the two internet connection.

However if I try to connect to my corporate (OWA) outlook web access i am looping on the first page where I should provide my credentials.

I know that most of the load balancer could be set up with a sticky bit to keep the session on the same WAN connection, but reading the documentation, googling and searching on this community I do not find any help.

Does someone have an idea and could help me.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Protocol Binding allows you to bind certain traffic to certain WAN port based on Service and IP Address. The feature can be configured at the System Management > Dual WAN page.

azerbinati
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i've have a RV042 too, and i have the same problem.

Loadbalance work for every single request, so every website get requests from both connection even if there is a single user browsing.

Website side, some requests are "logged in" (if request came from the same IP the user logged in), but not if request come from the other wan (because IP mismatch). I've experienced many problems with many websites, not only OWA, not only requesting me to log-in continously, but also server-side crash because server session get lost in the middle of transactions.

Protocol Binding is NOT the solution, since it will require to bind all HTTP to just one connection (this way, where is loadbalance?) and if that wan fails over you get lost of connectivity.

Right now I didn't found any solution to use loadbalancing correctly, the right way to do would be that the RV042 remember the association CLIENT/SERVER->WAN, so that once i client connect to a server the router whould use only that one WAN, and when a WAN fails the table get cleared to restart balancing requests on remaining WANs.

Hope to see this function on next firmware..

When the https protocol is bound to a certain WAN port, the https traffic can still be sent out through the other WAN port in case the former WAN port goes down.

Thank you tekliu,

i'm now try to bind every protocol that way, and see if i can solve my problems.

Currently i've mapped HTTP/HTTPS FTP IMAP POP3  SSH and RDP. All this protocols loose session at some point.

Since i'm serving 2 subnet, i've alreay setup 18 binding rows... hope this list don't grow too much.