cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 - Outbound VPN Connection Blocked

c.c.wilson
Level 1
Level 1

I have an RV042 with DMZ enabled and firewall on connected to our Comcast internet connection.  I am trying to allow internal network users to connect to external PPTP VPN's from our internal network.  It works fine when I turn off the firewall, but is blocked when the RV042 firewall is turned on.  I have tried opening port 1723 from "Any" source to "Any" destination, and even that doesn't do it.  Is there somewhere else I can go to allow GRE/protocol 47?  Or is the VPN blocking problem elsewhere?

Thank you for any help you can offer,

C.C.

2 Replies 2

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

You can try forwarding port 47 to your pptp server and see if that allows you to connect.

Another thing, check out this link and maybe it will assist you https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-10271 .

Thanks for the response.  I am actually having problems with outbound PPTP connections, so port forwarding wouldn't be the answer.  However that article you sent me (which as also about inbound VPN) got me poking around and I found the VPN Passthrough sub-tab under the VPN tab.  PPTP Passthrough was disabled.   As soon as I enabled PPTP Passthrough, I could connect to PPTP VPN's outside the router on the internet.

What is odd (hey firmware designers) is that there is no indication that the VPN Passthrough subtab is actually governed by the firewall.  As I mentioned in my original post, I can connect to the PPTP VPN when the firewall is off, even when PPTP Passthrough is disabled.  Interesting interplay between the router functions.

Thanks for stimulating my exploration with your response,

C.C.

PS - So now that I have answered my own original post, how do I mark this post as "the answer" for the next person that stumbles over outbound VPN blockages?  It appears that I can only mark responses other than my own as the answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: