cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 - Static Route Configuration does not maintain connection?

hb3services
Level 1
Level 1

I have a RV042 with the latest firmware v4.2.2.08. I have read the documentation on creating a static route and created one that allowed me ping the device on the other subnet. But after a while it will lose the connection? Basically I am using the router to load balance 2 ISP connections on WAN and WAN/DMZ. The router is performing DHCP for the 192.168.1.x LAN subnet. I need to connect to a Adtran Layer 3 switch which is part of the VoIP phone system in order to manage the system. The VoIP is on a 192.168.3.x subnet. I can create the static route by going into Advanced Routing and creating the static route to the destination IP of 192.168.3.254, the Gateway is 192.168.1.1, Hops=3, the port is set for LAN. when saved, it creates a path of 192.168.3.0. At that point I can ping the 192.168.3.254 addr. However it drops the connection after a while?? Can anybody shed some light on how to resolve this issue to where I have a reliable connection. Thanks - HB3

2 Replies 2

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

When you say it drop the connection do you mean it is no longer in the routing table, you cannot ping, or what exactly happens?

Try running a traceroute when the issue starts and see where the traffic stops or goes infinite, then check the routing table on that device.  

If the link that the static route uses goes down, it will be removed from the routing table.  It will be added back when the link comes back up.  Otherwise your static routes should always be there, at least listed under static routes.  

Let me know what is happening and we can probably figure it out.

Christopher Ebert

---

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Hi HB3,

So you need to be able to connect from LAN 192.168.1.X, resources in LAN 192.168.3.X.

Meaning you need to configure interVLAN routing. You should know that RV042 cannot make interVLAN routing.

Which you are achieving practically with the described static router, but it is incorrect usage of the static router function. Most probably that's why it's failing, or probably it is not working at all and anther device is making the routing.

You wrote:  I can create the static route by going into Advanced Routing and creating the static route to the destination IP of 192.168.3.254, the Gateway is 192.168.1.1, Hops=3, the port is set for LAN

I assume you configure Destination IP 192.168.3.254, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 - that way you are pointing to the entire IP range, which is correct.

The Gateway configuration is incorrect. When configuring static route Gateway means device, where the router should sent the packet. This device is directly connected or at least the router knows how to reach it and is aware of the Destination subnet. In your case Gateway should be the switch IP. And according your configuration, the route starting from the router is pointing back to the router

A default configuration in your case will be to make RV042 aware of the VoIP subnet, by configuring Multiple Subnet - 192.168.3.X, router IP  192.168.3.1 for example.  After that your staic route will be that Destination 192.168.3.0 mask 255.255.255.0 has Gateway - 192.168.3.254, hops=3, LAN. And as you have layer 3 switch - configure that device to allow the access from network 1 to network 3.

Regards,

Kremena