cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 v3 & RV082 v3: WAN Failover + Re-Establish VPN

brydansolutions
Level 1
Level 1

We have an RV082 v3 and RV042 v3 with latest firmware.

Both have Dual WAN (Smartlink Backup enabled).

They connect to each other via VPN (with VPN Backup Tunnel enabled and configured).

When the primary internet (WAN1) fails, and it switches to the backup internet (WAN2),

we have to manually change the VPN interface from WAN1 to WAN2 to re-establish

the VPN tunnel.

We tried creating a second VPN instance using WAN2, however it will not save

due to a network conflict with the original VPN (even if we switch the VPN destination

IP and VPN back up tunnel IP's).  I imagine the conflict is the destination network.

How do we automate the VPN interface change when an internet failure occurs?

Or what work around can be done to ensure the VPN is re-established after an

internet failover (WAN interface change).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To deal with the scenarios, you would need both sites operating in dual-wan load balancing mode. The primary tunnel is formed with the two WAN1 interfaces and the backup tunnel is formed with the two WAN2 interfaces.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

The backup tunnel (using WAN2) can be defined in the Advanced section of the primary tunnel (using WAN1) - see the attached screenshot.

I see the Tunnel Backup feature and had it configured with the back WAN IP of the remote site and local WAN1 interface.  I am changing the local interface to WAN2.

However, is the Tunnel Backup interface setting tied to the remote backup IP entered,

i.e. When VPN tunnel dies attempt to re-establish tunnel using remote backup IP on local interface WAN2

OR does it operate separately?

1) Backup tunnel interfaces:  local WAN1 dies, will attempt to re-establish tunnel using local WAN2 using remotes primary IP

2) remote primary IP fails comms, will use the remote backup IP on present local interface

However, is the Tunnel Backup interface setting tied to the remote backup IP entered,

i.e. When VPN tunnel dies attempt to re-establish tunnel using remote backup IP on local interface WAN2

Yes, that's exactly how it works.

If that is the case, then the Tunnel Backup would have to be configured to backup for one scenario as it appears it does not cover both local and remote failures simultaneously.

Both sides configured for Dual WAN (smartlink backup) with VPN and Tunnel Backup:

1) Local internet (WAN1) failure: Would require Tunnel Backup to be configured with Remote WAN1 IP on Local WAN2 interface

2) Remote internet (WAN1) failure: Would require Tunnel Backup to be configured witn Remote WAN2 IP on Local WAN1 interface

Is this correct?  If not, how would one configure to re-establish the VPN to backup for both scenarios?

To deal with the scenarios, you would need both sites operating in dual-wan load balancing mode. The primary tunnel is formed with the two WAN1 interfaces and the backup tunnel is formed with the two WAN2 interfaces.