Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RV042 with dyndns VPNs - very unreliable

Hello all,

I have a client with an RV042 router at his office main site, and I am using RV120W routers at 5 offsite locations for executives to gateway/gateway vpn into the main office (for IP phones)

The main office is a statc IP, while the remote sites are all dynamic, so we are using DYNDNS to connect.

There is a 6th VPN on the RV042, which is a static/static VPN to my office RV042 - that has been very solid throughout.

The system was rock solid when I had only two offsite locations going using DYNDNS. (for about 2 weeks)

When I added the 3rd,4th, and 5th sites (all on the same day), I had a very hard time trying to get all the sites to actually come online; - a BUNCH of enabling/disabling the vpn entries at each router, and finally all online.

But, they would not stay online for more than a few hours. They would drop indivdually, and then getting all the sites back online took the same amount of enable/disable/delete/re-enter the vpn settings to get them to work.

VERY frustrating.

Eventually, I took the IP address that was returned via DYNDNS from two of the sites, and used those IPs to set the VPNs up as static VPNs in the routers.

Those two sites are now set up as static, and the tunnel has been solid for 1 week.

Is there some limitation to how many DYNDNS VPNs the RV042 will simultaneously support?

Also, when the router goes down at either end using the remaining "reliable" DNYDNS sites, the VPN does not re-establish automatically - I have to Disable/Enable the VPN in the RV042 to getthat site back online. Why doesn't this happen automatically?

Is the RV042/RV120W a bad choice for this environment?  It's advertised to support 50 simultaneous VPN tunnels.....

thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies