Helpful
Replies

RV042 Won't Get 2nd IP

sking10_98
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Internet connections-

1-DSL Modem (WAN1-Internet Port)

2-Cable Modem-Comcast (WAN2-DMZ/Internet Port)

I connected the DSL (WAN1-Internet) port in and the Cisco RV042 was able to get an IP automatically. I tested the connection and it works just fine. Then I connect the Cable Modem-Comcast (WAN2-DMZ/Internet Port) in and I have the RV042 automatically optain IP address. But it just says 0.0.0.0. I've tried release/renew and that does nothing. Also, when I connect the 2nd Internet connection the Internet goes down. The only way it goes back up is when I disable under the PORT MANAGMENT setting.

All the settings have been kept to the default.

How can I get the router to obtain an IP address from the Cable Modem-Comcast (WAN2 DMZ/Internet Port).

Thanks for any help.

SK

5 Replies 5

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Please check your Dual WAN is configured to run in Load Balance, not Smartlink Backup, which is the default.

I've switched to Load Balance and still nothing.

Steve,

Plug your pc directly into cable modem and let it pull public ip address…. Now unplug your pc and plug pc directly into RV042 and clone the pc Mac address for wan 2... Plug RV042 wan 2 into cable modem and you should pull same address as your pc. Making sure load balancing is enabled.

Hope this helps…

Jasbryan

@jasbryan. The cable modem has a private IP address so when I connect it shows a 192.168.*.* address.

Steve,

It's best if you the cable modem can give the public address to the RV042 - this way you are not creating a double nat situation. If you can't then make sure the link is up between both routers. Try assigning the static ip address with same range as what's provided by your cable. Make sure both cable and RV isn't on the same local subnet. Everything should be up and running. If you have further trouble please give the Cisco Small Business Support Center a call @ 1-866-606-1866 and open a support case with next available engineer for resolution.

Thanks,

Jasbryan