Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RV042G - access modem connected to a WAN port

Hi,

I have set up my RV042G with only one WAN line currently using an Alice IAD modem to connect to my ISP. This device has an own web server for configuration currently configured on IP 192.168.0.1. The dual WAN router got the WAN IP address 192.168.0.4 (fixed address) and a LAN IP of 192.168.0.5. Now I need to access the modem from time to time for maintenance but cannot reach address 192.168.0.1. Can the RV042G be  configured to make communications between the modem and LAN devices possible? I tried to set a static route, but that didn't help. I'm by no way a network expert.

Thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Hi Mike, if your modem has the capacity to log in locally, then the RV042G LAN subnet should be different than the modem LAN subnet. Since your modem is 192.168.0.x your RV042G can be 192.168.1.x for the LAN. So the RV042G WAN is 192.168.0.x.

This should accomplish your goal.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
2 REPLIES
Green

Hi Mike, if your modem has the capacity to log in locally, then the RV042G LAN subnet should be different than the modem LAN subnet. Since your modem is 192.168.0.x your RV042G can be 192.168.1.x for the LAN. So the RV042G WAN is 192.168.0.x.

This should accomplish your goal.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hey Tom, thanks for taking the time to look at my problem.

In fact you solved it! I expected to have no access to the separate subnet when I would set the router up as you mentioned it. But actually everything is fine. This shows my limited knowlege about networking. Thanks again,

Mike

Views
Helpful
Replies