cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G and multiple subnets

cyruspy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!, I'm trying to configure a RV042G to handle at least 3 subnets, I see that it doesn't support 802.1q trunks, but on the interface setup page it gives the option to set a vlan for the port (static options: vlan1-vlan4 :/) but it's not possible to setup IP addresses for each vlan.

How come?!, is this a router that cannot route between subnets?,  what are the vlans used for then?

Regards.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ciro,

Please see the following thread. This might give you a better idea of how the RV042(G) works in regard to VLAN and multiple subnets.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2226281

- Marty

View solution in original post

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

The vlans are limited on these units.  You can only have a dhcp server on one of the vlans, and you can only either enable or diable routing between them.  If you really need vlans, I'd create those outside of the rv042g.    

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ciro,

The RV0xx routers handle VLANs differently than most of the Cisco Small Business routers. Please see the following document that best describes the capabilities:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/app_notes/RV0xx_an_vlan_78-21017.pdf

- Marty

Thanks mpyhala, I've already got as far as isolating traffic like the link states. The issue is that I can only set IPs for LAN/VLAN1 (base + aliases) but I cannot see how to setup IPs for the other vlans..

Ciro,

Please see the following thread. This might give you a better idea of how the RV042(G) works in regard to VLAN and multiple subnets.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2226281

- Marty

I had a wrong port configuration in one of the switches

Now that I fixed it, I see that the router answers for each subnet in any interface/vlan, that's pretty fucked up (sorry). That's not safe at all, I can setup a priviledged IP on the untrusted VLAN and the router will happily forward traffic. Is this how it's supposed to work?, am I missing something?

Regards,

Ciro

Ciro,

Can you be a little more detailed about the configuration?

- Marty

I was expecting to setup internal subnets isolated with VLANs. In any broadcast domain I was able to use the servers subnet and the RV042G would happily forward traffic. This is unacceptable in a case where you would like an untrusted vlan for guests for example...

foro.png

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

The vlans are limited on these units.  You can only have a dhcp server on one of the vlans, and you can only either enable or diable routing between them.  If you really need vlans, I'd create those outside of the rv042g.    

That's what've learned, ditched the RV042G for this project...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: