cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G Needs Regular Rebooting

elijah286
Level 1
Level 1

I bought the RV042G via Amazon 5 months ago. I have two ISPs and wanted a load balancing router with VPN that was capable of over 300Mbps bandwidth, so it seemed like the perfect fit.

It worked well for about 3 months, but our internet started dropping our regularly. I know that both ISPs are still serving internet whenever it drops and I also know that restarting the RV042G immediately fixes the problem.  I have the router configured to use the first ISP as my primary and roll over to the secondary when it cannot ping the DNS servers. When the internet fails, I cannot resolve any URLs or ping any DNS servers, but this still works if I connect directly to either ISP's router.

I have 8 IP based security cameras on the network. I used wireshark to look at the network traffic and noticed that they were broadcasting their video signal on the LAN all the time. Could this constant bombardment of data damaged the router?  Disconnecting the cameras does appear to buy me more time between reboots, but the problem has become a near daily issue. 

What do I do? Are there better more reliable routers I should consider replacing this with? I also don't seem to be able to get support from Cisco without a 'service contract,' but it seems like this should still be covered under a 1 year warranty.

I really appreciate any help!

Eli

2 Replies 2

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

The density of your users must be too high already that the RV042G cannot support it anymore

Hard to imagine. I should've mentioned that it's being used at home - wife and I both work from home occasionally, so we needed high reliability. It's just us. 

We we do have a lot of IOT devices in the house, but aside from the cameras they are all very low bandwidth.