Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

RV042G V1 - Constant Reboots

We purchased several of these over a year ago and used all but two.  Now we need these two and the first one we powered up just keeps rebooting.

I've tried the 30/30/30 reset and that hasn't helped.

I'm trying to find a firmware recovery utility for this device but it seems I can only find the utility for V3 versions of the router.

Does a recovery utility exist for V1 versions of this device?  If so; can someone point me in the right direction?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Carlos, Please download

Hi Carlos,

Please download the firmware from this link : http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284170426&softwareid=282465789&release=4.2.3.03&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

For RV042G need to have the firmware of RV042 V3

After that download and install TFTP32D or TFTP64D (OS windows)

After that please follow this steps :

- power off the router

- press the button Reset and hold it

- Power on the device and you are still holding button reset

- after 7 seconds release the button Reset

- Configure the network card to static IP 192.168.1.100 mask 255.255.255.0 and gw 192.168.1.1

Until here you need to ping the router (now the router is on TFTP server mode)

Now on the TFTP32D :

- under TFTP client TAB

- Host put 192.168.1.1

- Port - 69

- Select the firmware version

- Click on Put

and wait until the RV042G get the firmware and he will reboot automatically 

to check if his responding please ping 192.168.1.1 -t or if not please configure the network card with IP address of your previous configuration, because with this steps to flash the firmware, the configuration will be not deleted

Please if you need any help contact our technical support and open a case

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Thanks

Mehdi

7 REPLIES

carlos.garza.cg My name is

My name is Ismael . Iam with the Cisco Small Business Support Center.  The RV042G does not have a firmware rescue utility available, just for the RV042.  The only thing i can think of this point is to reflash firmware. If you still have its latest firmware on your pc, i've seen where TFTP has been used to do this when there's  no accessibility to the router.

Ismael,I can't seem to find

Ismael,

I can't seem to find the firmware for that device.  The only firmware I can find is for the V3 version of the device.

Where can I obtain firmware for the V1 version of this device?

Hi Carlos, Please download

Hi Carlos,

Please download the firmware from this link : http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284170426&softwareid=282465789&release=4.2.3.03&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

For RV042G need to have the firmware of RV042 V3

After that download and install TFTP32D or TFTP64D (OS windows)

After that please follow this steps :

- power off the router

- press the button Reset and hold it

- Power on the device and you are still holding button reset

- after 7 seconds release the button Reset

- Configure the network card to static IP 192.168.1.100 mask 255.255.255.0 and gw 192.168.1.1

Until here you need to ping the router (now the router is on TFTP server mode)

Now on the TFTP32D :

- under TFTP client TAB

- Host put 192.168.1.1

- Port - 69

- Select the firmware version

- Click on Put

and wait until the RV042G get the firmware and he will reboot automatically 

to check if his responding please ping 192.168.1.1 -t or if not please configure the network card with IP address of your previous configuration, because with this steps to flash the firmware, the configuration will be not deleted

Please if you need any help contact our technical support and open a case

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Thanks

Mehdi

Good Morning Mehdi,I was able

Good Morning Mehdi,

I was able to flash the latest firmware available at the link using TFTP; but unfortunately once the firmware is uploaded it seems to lock up the device as the "diag" light stops flashing and becomes solid.

From what I've read; that means that the device has suffered an unrecoverable error; is that correct?

Hi Carlos,  Usually after

Hi Carlos, 

Usually after when you upload the firmware need time to recover between 5-7 minutes, and will reboot automatically .

if not you can again recover it again you can do the steps again, it can be corrupted by any reason so it good to make it again and if you have the same behavior please call the line and open a ticket and our technical support will assist you on this

thank you for your cooperation

Mehdi

That did the trick! I forgot

That did the trick! I forgot to check back here after waiting; but it's all good now!

Thanks!

Hi Carlos, Happy to hear

Hi Carlos,

Happy to hear everything is Good.

Regards

Mehdi

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content