Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082, intermittent dhcp, Firmware Version: v4.0.0.07

ryantholmes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an RV082 using firmware version: v4.0.0.07. I do not have a separate dhcp server in my workgroup. I have checked the "Enable DHCP Server" box and been running my workgroup this way for a few years successfully with a group of six or seven Win XP desktops and several iPhones, printers, plotters, etc. I just recently seem to be having intermittent dhcp issues.

Specifically, when users log in on our desktops they get an error regarding the connection being low and no IP address is assigned. I can log in to the configuration utility from a machine that has successfully connected to the network and upon refreshing the DHCP status a few times, I see that the machine in question may only receive an IP address for 36 seconds or 60 seconds. After some time and rebooting of the desktop machine, an IP address will be assigned.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Ryan

13 Replies 13

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Ryan,

can you get a wirecapture of the issue to see the DORA negotiation?

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Hello Randy,

Thank you for your response. I am happy to do so, just not sure how. I'm familiar with screen shot but not wirecapture. What can you tell me?

Thank you again,

Ryan

Randy,

I have also been speaking with Steven at your offices via telephone today re; this issue. He's had me install an updated version of software/firmware. Still having issues with dhcp.

Thanks again,

Ryan

SR 621515435

I too started experiencing this exact problem a few days ago. Some of the clients (the ones that actually receive an IP address from the RV082) only have a DHCP lease time of 60 seconds. None of my DHCP clients are receiving addresses even with the RV082 DHCP server enabled. No other DHCP server exists on the network. It is a small office network with the RV082 connected to a cable modem, all workstations and other devices connect directly to the router or to the switch connected to the router. I have only one gateway to gateway vpn setup to another remote office with the exact same setup. I also have the PPTP server enabled with 2 clients that are getting IP addresses when they connect.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

CJ

hello CJ,

We really need to get a packet capture with something like Wireshark to see the actual data being sent on the wire.

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Randy,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. This remote location is in another state and I won't be back to that location for a week or two. Is there anything I can do remotely to get the information you need? For the most part, no one is located at the remote location so no one else could get the packet capture.

Is there anything I can do remotely to patch this up like downgrade the firmware or something to that extent? I put the most current firmware on it (it was already running the current version) again and it allowed one client to connect and that is all that is showing up.

Thanks again for your help,

CJ

Hello Randy and CJ,

I have downloaded and installed the software/firmware update for our RV082 as well. I notice a few different features/buttons with this version. I am still having the trouble of not having all my machines receive a dymanic IP.

I’ve assigned one of our machines a static IP just to test and am able to get it onto our network. However this machine does not have access to the internet/email servers outside the RV082/firewall.

I've downloaded a copy of Wireshark and will try running. I'm a rookie here so any additional information would be great.

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

This statement tells me there is a configuration issue.

"I’ve assigned one of our machines a static IP just to test and am able to get it onto our network. However this machine does not have access to the internet/email servers outside the RV082/firewall."

What is the default gateway of the client.

Run a dos command

ipconfig /all

what is the output?

What is the LAN IP address of the 82?

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Hello CJ Randy,

How do I get the wire capture to you?

Ryan

Hello Ryan,

The best way is to call into the support center at 1-866-606-1866 and create a case. Then you can email the .pcap into the engineer or they can setup a webex and view it on your network or pull it from you if you give them rights to.

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Hello CJ,

Turned out that my issue was related to a tripped circuit breaker that supplied power to one half of our wireless bridge which spans a distance of +/- 500' on our property. Our RV082 was performing and providing DHCP services as designed. The intermittent IP addresses were the result of only half the wireless bridge being powered.

The tripped breaker was difficult to locate for several reasons; the only device being powered by that particular circuit was the wireless bridge appliance, we still had connectivity on the network and physically checking all the appliances on the network was not a part of our normal problem solving routine.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Were you able to get your problem fixed? If so how did you resolve it?  My router with the problem is in another state in a office with no one in it. I was wondering if I could do something to fix it remotely.

Thanks for your help in advance!

CJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: