cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 - Newest Firmware - V1 Hardware? - Slow DNS Lookups

mrfreeze
Level 1
Level 1

I was running firmware 1.3.98-tm - and everything seemed to be working fine (no complaints from me - things ripped)

Serial Number :      DEZ00610370x

Firmware version :      1.3.98-tm (Jun 20 2008   18:37:29)

CPU :    Intel IXP425-533

Not sure if I have V1 or V2 hardware - or how to tell.

But that said - I upgraded to 2.0.0.19-tm yesterday. Upgrade went smoothly. All settings seemed to be retained after upgrade.

It now seems that DNS lookups intermittently fail - and/or are definitely slower.

I am assuming it is the DNS lookup that is taking more time (or failing) - as I use a product from Firetrust called Mailwasher Professional - which every 15 minutes - connects to all of my POP3 servers (about 8 of them - simultaneously) - and attempts to download a portion of each message for some Bayesian analysis. During the initial connection attempts - multiple failures occur with multiple e-mail accounts - indicating messages like "No Such Host". On a retries - it either works - or - produces the same error. What is further weird - when I set the Mailwasheer product to check each of the accounts "serially" - one by one - no errors occur. Problem seems to evidence itself only when router is presented with multiple lookups. The same behavior is evidenced within Firefox - when checking for updates to my extensions(much slower with the new firmware)

I backed out the firmware upgrade - and every is now working satisfactorily. Re-apply the new firmware - and the DNS weirdness returns.

Anyone out there having similar problems - or have any ideas?

I like running with the latest firmware - but I just can't live with this level of performance degradation.

Regards,

Doug

Environment:

Windows® Vista® Ultimate SP2 64-bit {EN}
Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9400 / Memory: 4GB

Intel® 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection

20 Replies 20

I doubled checked the admin guide for the RV016 to make sure and the DNS Local Database is not an option avaliable on the RV016. As to why I am not sure I will try to find out some more information for you.

I can confirm that DNS Local Database feature is not avaliable on the RV016. We will look into supporting this feature on RV016 in the future.

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

You could try configuring the DNS Server (in the Setup>DHCP page) to point to your ISP's DNS Servers so RV082 will not get in the way of internet-bound DNS queries.

Hardware version (e.g. RV082 v2) is shown on the product label typically located at the rear or bottom of the product.

Just tried that - but problem still ocurrs ??? Somehow the "router" is still "in the way".

Regards,

Doug

Network Setting Status
LAN                  IP :192.168.1.1
WAN1 IP :69.113.140.xxx          
WAN2 IP :0.0.0.0          
Mode :Gateway
DNS (WAN1) :
DNS (WAN2) :
167.206.254.2      167.206.254.1     

DDNS(WAN1   |   WAN2)                 :Off       |       Off
DMZ                  Host :Disabled

DNS

DNS Server                    (Required) 1:

.                    .                    .                   
2:
.                    .                    .                   

Cisco,

Is there any movement on this?  I am experincing the same issue.  There is no way that i know of to downgrade vesion 2.0 firmware back to version 1.0.  I am using a RV082 V02 hardware model.

DNS queries are very slow with the latest firmware 2.0.2.01-tm

Doubtful Cisco will be repairing the old firmwares.  I think they just programmed some stuff in there to parallel the v3 hardware's newest firmware, and it is stressing out the CPU/RAM in the older v2, v1.1, v1.0 units.   I already gave up with my most demanding couple clients and upgraded them to the v3 hardware.  The v3 seems faster and the GUI is FAR better since all the IP info is a single field instead of one for each octet - lets you copy/paste and overall just faster to configure.  Sucks to drop another $300 when yours should work, but it's still quite cheap considering you are saving yourself from buying a $750 Cisco/Sonicwall/etc router.

With that said, I'm trying the downgrade to v1.3.98 on two RV082 v1.0 units and will let you know if problems continue.  I also have a v2 unit but will have to check that first.  I think the v2 firmware came out with the v2 hardware, and it won't run with v1.3.98 firmware - is that what you were getting at?