Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RV082 Port Forwarding or DMZ Configuration Assistance

Greetings Community,

I have an RV082 V2 with 2.0.2.01-tm and I am having trouble with getting my Sprint Airvana to connect properly to the mobile service.  Many suggestions I've read on the Sprint forums indicate putting the Airvana in the DMZ generally allows the device to work properly; however, none have the RV series routers for tips on how to do this appropriately.  This device used to work fine behind the RV082, but I reset it one day and it no longer works.

The Airvana is a femtocell/router device with a WAN port and 3 LAN ports.  If I connect the Airvana directly to my cable modem, I get the appropriate connection and can then make calls through the device instead of through the Sprint connection; I live in a basement unit and get crappy signal without the device.  This proves the device works and that my ISP is not blocking the ports.  Sprint indicates the device uses UDP 53, 67, 68, 500 and 4500.  Their support sucks and they insist I put the Airvana before my router.  I absolutely do not want to use the Airvana as the router.  There are almost no configuration options in the router interface and it needs to be rebooted somewhat regularly, which would drop internet access throughout the house for 10-15 minutes while it reboots and finally establishes an internet connection.

As soon as put the Airvana behind the RV082, I no longer get the appropriate connection.  I can, however, plug my computer into one of the LAN ports on the Airvana and connect to the internet in general.  I have the router assign a static IP to the Airvana, and tried forwarding the required UDP ports to the IP.  This did not fix the problem.

I can certainly troubleshoot the port forwarding issues, but I would also like to look into putting the device into the DMZ, if possible.  I've not worked much in this area, so I am unsure how to appropriately configure the router to allow this to happen.  Is it possible to have the Airvana in the router DMZ without having a public IP for the device itself?  It seems this is something that can be done, but I could be mistaken.  If so, how is that done?

Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions and I thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

Everyone's tags (3)
2 REPLIES
Bronze

RV082 Port Forwarding or DMZ Configuration Assistance

Hello Philip,

There are a few options when you need to allow incoming traffic back to a device behind the router.

Port Forwarding

DMZ

UPnP

If you know the device supports UPnP, you can enable this under Setup > UPnP.

If you know all the ports and want to do it manually you can do this under Setup > Forwarding. (note: the Airvana should have a static IP so it does not have an issue when being rebooted)

If you want to allow all traffic to it you can set it to the DMZ under Setup > Networking. For this you will have to set the Optional WAN port to DMZ mode.

I recommend the first two as using DMZ is as friendly.

Re: RV082 Port Forwarding or DMZ Configuration Assistance

I apologize in the delay in getting back to this post; however, it dropped to the bottom of my priority list for a while.  As a workaround, I used the Airvana device as my router temporarily; however, I have the time again and would like to get it setup behind the RV082 again.

It does not appear the device supports UPnP.  I had that enabled for some other applications already.

According to http://tinyurl.com/AirvanaPorts I need the following UDP ports open: 53, 67, 68, 500, 4500.  Another suggestion from a Sprint rep was to also open/forward TCP 5060 and 5061.  I have the ports forwarded to the device as shown below and have confirmed the device has the correct IP address.  The device gets a valid internet connection (verified by plugging a computer into one of the LAN ports on the Airvana device; however, it still does not connect to the Sprint service like it should.  I am guessing there is another port and/or the Sprint article has incorrect information.

To check this, I'm thinking I need to set the device up in the DMZ, but I'm not sure exactly what I need to do for proper configuration.  Is it as easy as enabling the DMZ port and plugging the device in, or are there other settings needed?  Is there anything else I may be missing for the Port Forwarding?

Airvana Port Forwarding.jpg

Views
Helpful
Replies