Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 + VPN

macbeto8370
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a rv082 router  and another router provided by the Internet Provider company with is the one with the Public IP. I can't put aside this second router because is providing not only internet but telephony lines so is necessary to use this second router and all related internet should pass through it.

The target here is to create a VPN allowing access to remote VPN clients, but here I have the problem, out public address is in the second router, not in the rv082.

The LAN settings in the rv082 router are:

ip: 129.200.100.250

mask: 255.255.255.0

The WAN settings in the rv082 router are:

ip: 129.200.100.251

mask: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 129.200.100.1

The ip settings of the second router are:

internal ip: 129.200.100.1

public ip address: 217. 130.20.20

So when I setup the VPN settings in the rv082 I use Client-to-Gateway configuration with Ip Only Local Security Gateway and I configure the IP address 129.200.100.251 which is the wan ip address (not the public ip address). Obviously when the Client VPN tryes to access our ip public address it doesn't end in the rv082 router, just in the second one.

I suppose this should be a regular issue because not all companies have internet straight connected to the cisco router, can be another router inbetween.

How is the right setup in this situation??? The only way is to do a forwarding in the second router passing everything through the UPD ports 500/4500 (IPSec) to the wan ip of the rv082??? can I do anything without touch the second router???

I will appreciate so much your answers because I am a bit lost in this.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Our devices are intended to be the router on the edge of the network, with the public IP on them directly.  I have seen people get it working by port forwarding the IPSec related ports to the RV, but it is not something we support, because it tends not to work well.

You will have to change settings on the ISPs router.  You can also ask them if they have any kind of One-to-one NAT, IP passthrough, or router cascading (the terminology varies from ISP to ISP) so that somehow you can get a public IP on our device's WAN interface.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert

---

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please mark/rate helpful posts*

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I've run into this issue before and you're going to need to put the rv082 in the dmz if you even have a chance.  I know I've gotten a DMZ VPN to work with Netgear's vpn routers.  Good luck!

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com