Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

RV082 WAN DNS settings when using two different ISPs.

Using a RV082 (firmware 2.0.0.19-tm) connected to two different ISPs. LAN IP IS 192.168.1.1

Everything seems to be working Ok if I leave the DNS settings for WAN1 and WAN2 set to public DNS servers. If I set each WAN connection to the respective ISP’s DNS settings then I get timeouts when using nslookup.

My ISP’s only accept DNS request from routers on their own network.

Assumption:

I thought that if each WAN is pointing to it’s own DNS server, I should be able to get a reply when I do a nslookup with the server set to this router (192.168.1.1.)

Real life:

The fact is I get a Timeout every time I test a domain name lookup.

With the exact same configuration, setting both WANs to public DNS servers, everything works fine

The only reasons for wanting the DNS settings not set to a public DNS server are two.

1. My Spam solution has issues with using a public DNS server
  2. I was hoping I could increase the speed of DNS lookups using a closer DNS server.

My objective is to point the internal DNS server on the SBS 2003 to the RV082 and have the router forward the request as needed to the proper ISPs dns server.

Is my assumption above correct? If I have each WAN configured to it’s own DNS settings I should be able to point to the router for DNS lookups and if the record in not in cache this router will forward it to one of the two WAN’s using that WAN's correct DNS settings?

Thanks for any assistance or direction on this issue.

Matt R.

1 REPLY
Bronze

RV082 WAN DNS settings when using two different ISPs.

Hello Matt,

This is just a recommendation, but have the clients point to the internal DNS server. The internal DNS server should only point to itself, but have forwarders programmed. The first forwarder should be the router 192.168.1.1 (which should use both ISP WAN DNS servers). Then have additional forwarders directly to other public DNS if needed.

This should work. The only thing I could think that might cause an issue is if you are using load balancing and have no protocol binding configured.

Hope this helps

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Views
Helpful
Replies