Helpful
Replies

RV110W + IPv6 Webserver Inbound access

computerone1
Level 1
Level 1

Model : RV110W      Firmware : 1.2.0.9

Hi!

I'm studying the RV110W IPv6 Firewall in the context of a long IPv6 study / Blog post ( 30+ posts yet ).

The RV110W IPv6 Firewall got me totally puzzled.

I've remade all the tests, and this appears :

To allow external access to an IPv6 Web Server located on the Lan side of the RV110W, it seems that :

creating an inbound allow rule is useless and unneeded.

creating a Single Port Forwarding rule is compulsory and sufficient.

1. Can anybody confirm this ?

2. Does this IPv6 Single Port Forwarding rule actually automatically creates an ' invisible ' IPv6 Firewall allow in rule ?

3. How comes an IPv6 Firewall allow in rule is not enough ?

4. could anybody explain me this misterious sentence, from the RV110W admin guide :

" Port forwarding is not appropriate for servers on the LAN, since there is a dependency on the LAN device making an outgoing connection before incomming ports are opened. Some applications require ... ... "

What is appropriate for servers on the LAN then ? Isn't LAN the place for servers ? isn't port forwarding the historical way to make Lan servers accessible to the outside world ? This sentence seems to describe Statefull Firewall functionning, so is the sentence mistyped, and actually should be ' Port Forwarding IS appropriate for servers on the LAN, since ... " ?

Thanks for any help

PS. I also found an IPv6 Firewall ICMPv6 quirk, that I put on another thread

1 Reply 1

lariasqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi computerone1, thank you for using our forum, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community.

Well as you know Port forwarding and the Access List are different, the Port forwarding forward the port and the Access list create a rule to provide access or deny it. I this case I will recommend you to use both protocols in order provide control of the access to your server.

I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: