cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV110W Port Forwarding Still Broken in 1.2.0.9 Firmware

danhstevens
Level 1
Level 1

I installed firmware version 1.2.0.9 a couple weeks ago after seeing in the release notes that the port forwarding bug where clients would get 'no route to host' was resolved (one of the original posts found here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3512354).

After installing the firmware and confirming it's running I've seen no improvement. I still must reboot my router 2-3 times daily so clients can access the ports that are defined in the port forwarding module.

Please take another look at this - the issue is not resolved and as far as I can tell it hasn't even been improved. Please also let me know of any beta firmwares - anything to put this issue to bed. It's been going on far too long.

44 Replies 44

Cisco seems to be of the opinion that there is no problem with their product.

I have been dragging my feet on a number of installations because I'd really like to use this router, but I just can't trust it yet. I have 7 of them out there, and honestly only one is giving me trouble. That one happens to be behind a DSL modem,  the others are on T1 lines.  So I'm tempted to blame it on DSL somehow, except that it takes a router reset to recover.  Resetting the DSL modem does nothing.

I had opportunity to install another RV110W in a DSL system about a month ago, and so far no problem, but it's too soon to draw a conclusion.  The new one is AT&T DSL, the older one is Frontier (previously Verizon).  I'm waiting and watching on that one.

We are using port forwarding for running a security cameras.

I configured everything as you recommend it this post, but it will work from an hour to two days, then fails. (until reboot)

When will the new RV110W firmware be released?

Thanks

I know it's been a while, but I decided to follow the suggestion to  call 1.866.606.1866 and open a support ticket (I held off because frankly, my  expectations are low).

When I get to the point of being transferred to a person, I get a error message telling me "The number was not recognized".  What do I need to do to open a support ticket?

Dear mr.Blake Wright,

Thanks a lot for your tip, even if there is not exactly like you said ))

When I tried to create Access Rule device offered to create Service first. And after creating Service and Access Rule I didn't "see my new rule under port forwarding" - I had to create it there too.

Anyway, to make working port forwarding, you must follow these three steps:

1) create Service, describing used port range and type of traffic;

2) create Access Rule that allow traffic for this Service;

3) create Port Forwarding Rule for each IP and port you need.

And, imho, it's better to reboot device after all of that

aautomate
Level 1
Level 1

Is Cisco ever going to fix their firmware?   We had two of these ship from the reseller with the latest firmware already installed.  After a couple days the port forwarding fails.  Solution is to reboot.  Cisco support has been very difficult to deal with and they seam to think that this is not a problem. 

I have the same problem with this router. We did the firmware update, then factory reset and rebuilt our configuration. I still find the port forwarding failing every couple of days - in fact this morning, it failed twice within a few hours.

This is unacceptable. There is obviously a problem with this model and its firmware. Do I have to buy a different brand of product to fix this issue?

Gene O'Brien

Technology Service of Long Island

HeraCon
Level 1
Level 1

I do face the same problem with four of these same devices, each one sits behind a ViaSat satellite modem and I also

need to reboot them 2-3 times daily so clients can access the ports that are defined in the port forwarding module.

Its really annoyning when something so basic as port forwarding its not a standard for all expensive Cisco products

Stelios Neroladakis

Technical Administrator

HeraCon

Simon Yelfimov
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same exact issue and have performed all troubleshooting steps from this forum. Still, the router needs a reboot every week.

I followed every piece of advice, every possible remedy, every fix I could find, and it still kept losing the configuration. I was at a point where I was getting phone calls from my end user nearly every day that he couldn't access his network remotely, and the cause was broken port forwarding. I would reboot the router remotely (I have a different remote access tool), and it would all start working again.

I wound up replacing the router with a different brand. Guess what - it's worked flawlessly for about a month now.

The RV110W is just not a very good router. Simple enough.

Gene O'Brien
Technology Service of Long Island

At this pace I may end up eating router price and replce with something else (and never use it again, probalby would go back to using DD-WRT firmware with homegrade routers). However, I've put in some changes just now trying to find where the programmers F**k up is. So far my debugging process:

- Made all the port labels match b\w Access rules and Firewall

- Removed redundant port forwards b\w Single and port Range

- Removed all Logging from Access rules

I'll let everyone know if there are any changes.

Matthew Ritchie
Level 1
Level 1

Similar issue. The router continues to do NAT translation and allows outbound and inbound traffic. The PROBLEM is:

Port Forwarding Rules fail randomly. In my case the failure occurs almost every 50-60 days in operation. The only solution is to reboot the box, then everything bis back to normal.  This is now December 2013 and I notice Cisco has not put out any additional firmware to correct this issue?

Cisco:  You cant ONLY provide support to people who buy your top of the line equipment. Those are the same people who encourage customers to put small business products in too, and when we see them fail miserably, it then makes us questions your top line equipment for use in our client networks.  I would encourage you to provide a full resolution to this issue, for the sake of people who use your equipment on a regular basis.

Zhaoqiang Wang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, if anyone meet this issue, please open a case to L2 support who will deliver you a new firmware. The port forwarding codes are redesigned in the new firmware. Thanks.

Do you have a way to contact Cisco Product Support?

The Cisco website says "1-866-606-1866 Small Business Support Center", but that number is not in service.

Hello Bruce,

Depending upon your region, you can use one of the contact information listed in the below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

You may need to provide entitlement information when you contact Cisco support to open a Service Request.

Hope this helps.

Nagaraja

Right. That page gives the same out-of-service phone number for the United States.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: