Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV110W - Quick VPN Ping Issue

Does anyone have Quick VPN working with the RV110W?  I have setup the Quick VPN per the instructions.  I have the latest FW (1.1.0.9) and Quick VPN client (1.4.2.1).  I have a QuickVPN username/password setup on VPN screen under the VPN Client Settings Table. I have remote managemet turned on, set to port 443, and https.  I don't have PPTP enabled.

When I try a remote connection, it seems to connect me getting all the way to "Verifying Network..." where it pops up a box saying "The remote gateway is not responding.  Do you want to wait?".  I seems that I am connected (looking on router under status / vpn status it shows me connected while this popup is up) but it is failing to verify the network. 

So if I look on the client machine in c:\program files\cisco small business\log.txt I see several:

[WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

Well, this seems silly.  First, if I go to the internet and use any internet ping tool and try to ping the IP for the VPN router, it fails.  I don't think that Comcast (their service provider where VPN router is) blocks ping.   Seems to me that the router itself is blocking ping.  Keep in my that this is a router running NAT on a single IP, so I would assume the router itself (not a NAT device) should be responding.  But it doesn't.

So is this a bug in the router that it doesn't respond to ping (VPN client requires VPN router to answer a ping but router doesn't answer to pings)?

Or does Comcast block all pings and this is why it fails.  If so, not sure how Comcast could do this, but if so, then having a ping requirement in the VPN Client seems crazy, especially when a major ISP would be blocking ping.

Regardless, how do I turn this requirement off?  I know on my corporate network they block in and outbound ping for example.  Requiring ping seems ridiculous. 

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: