Views
Helpful
Replies

RV110w wont connect with dsl modem for VPN

matthewmalone
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have bought a RV110w router and I also have a D-Link 320B DSL modem (which is replacing my standard Sky broadband router/modem) and I am having problems getting them set up correctly, firstly for the internet to work and secondly to use the VPN function on the router.

The D-Link 320B DSL modem works when connected directly into my laptop via an ethernet connection, however when I connect the modem into the RV110w the internet will not work.  The dashboard on the RV110w says that the internet is "up" and gives an IP address but the internet does not work on any computer on the network.  Any help here would be hugely appreciated!

After I have overcome the problem above I then want to be able to get the VPN working which I have also had no luck with.

The RV110w is set to 192.168.1.250 and the D-Link is set to 192.168.1.1.  If I turn off DHCP on the D-Link I cannot then get access to the modem at all, the only way I can then get access is to hold down reset and go back to factory settings.

I have been trying to do this for about two weeks now with no luck, no matter what settings I try it just does not seem to work!!

Matt.

1 Reply 1

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for reaching Small Business Support Community.

In order to accomplish both needs, you would first need to configure the PPPoE and DHCP settings on the RV110 and set the D-Link for bridge mode only so that the xDSL negotiation is performed by the Cisco router and be the DHCP server for the LAN at the same time.

You need to first configure the PPPoE parameters on the RV110; please refer to page 23, chapter 2 of the admin guide;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv110w/administration/guide/rv110w_admin.pdf

The required PPPoE settings are provided by your ISP and you may also copy those current settings from the D-Link modem (unfortunately I cannot tell you where they are since I am not familiar with the 320B model).  You also need to set the D-Link for bridge mode since the PPPoE settings are now going to be entered on the RV110.

To set the RV110 as a DHCP server please refer to page 31, chapter 2 on the same admin guide.

You can have either a remote access VPN or a site to site VPN configured on this RV110, please check chapter 5 on admin guide. Notice for either one you would need to have static public IP addresses or a domain name provided by your ISP intended for a VPN tunnel, and in case they do provide you with neither one, then you would have to get a third party dynamic DNS service to accomplish this task.  I have personally used DynDNS and it works just fine.

I hope you find this information useful and please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is any further assistance I may help you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.