cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV120W doesn't allow browsing

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

Just setup a brand new RV120W at my house.  I have the wireless working, LAN clients connected, even got an IPSec tunnel to the office up and running.    One of the PCs behind the router is setup as a logmein client and tech guys from the office can access my home PC using logmein.

One problem though, I can't browse any web sites!!  I can ping public IPs by name and IP address but no browsing.  Very weird.  Is there some setting that has http turned off?  If so, I can't seem to find it.  Please help.

BTW, one more thing I noticed is that although I can ping out, the router seems to drop quite a few packets.  I would say about 70-80%. Could this be related to the browsing?  Router is using PPPoe connection and has the latest firmware of 1.0.0.12.

Thanks,

18 Replies 18

streaves
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Diego --Thanks for posting in the Support Community.

The RV 120W Engineering Team is reviewing your issue. Would you be kind enough to share your configuration file? This will help us troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

Small Business Technology Group

Thanks for the reply but I already returned the router.  Just so you know, the problem seems to happen when the router is using PPPoE on the WAN port.  I tried it at three different sites and any time you have the WAN port in PPPoE mode the browsing would not work.  Then I took it to work and put the WAN port in DHCP mode and it worked like a champ.

Thanks,

Diego 

Hi Guys, Good news, I've got the same problem so we can continue this thread. While I share the inability to connect to the internet it only happens with certain machines. Specifically OS X Tiger Servers. We have 3 PPC/G5 servers we use for misc math work and they are behaving as the first poster described. We have a RV042 that is connected to Speakeasy 3MB Business Ethernet and 12/1MB Business ADSL doing load sharing. If I turn the load sharing off the Tiger Servers work correctly. I've attached the configuration file just in case.

Shared symptoms:

1) Can't connect to internet to download any type of content

2) Can ping external domains but with ~80% packet loss

Different:

1) This only affects certain machines. Specifically OS X Tiger servers.

2) The snow leopard and windows 7 machines on our network seem to work fine.

Let me know how I can help you help me further.

J

I have a similar issue.

Let me know if you guys find any solutions...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2036350?tstart=0

Jason

As an update, I'm seeing better performance after replacing the ADSL modem. The issue still appears but seems less frequent.

I had my ISP replace the WIC card on my CISCO 1841 T1 Modem, and then I did a factory reset on the RV120W.

Saw much better performance after.

I still get "hiccups" with high bandwidth on network.

Every so often DNS is either blocked or times out...

My file corruption seems to be limited also now.  Joe, did you see any file corruption on files downloaded greater then 100k?

jason.mack
Level 1
Level 1

THIS THREAD WAS STARTED IN JUNE.

DOES CISCO HAVE ANY ANSWERS YET?

THIS IS MORE THE A PPPoe ISSUE.

IT OCCURS ON STATIC IPs ALSO.

I wouldn't bet on it. There are obviously some serious design issues with this router.

Either they don't have a clue how to fix it or they seriously just do not care, must not be enough profit margin with these for them to worry about it.

2 months of replies saying Engineering is looking into it doesn't quite help

jason.mack
Level 1
Level 1

Finally, a cisco response via email...

8/20/2010

Jason,

A recent issue has come to light with some RV120W’s, where the CPU utilization will spike and router performance will suffer.  I believe this may be the issue we are seeing in your case.  Please let me know if you are seeing any processor spikes (90-100%) when your network issues are ongoing, and we can escalate your case if needed.

Thank you

John Tishey
SBSC Engineer
CCNA

When I had mine connected I saw processor spikes and high memory utilization pretty much all the time.

That's great Jason. Please share your resolution When you find it.

I have a smaller unit with no CPU monitor but maybe I'll get some clues.

J

jason.mack
Level 1
Level 1

Joe:

Do you have a RV120W?

Do you see occassional IE "page cannot be displayed" errors or have any corrupt downloads?

I don't know why I am speading time figuring out this unit.  I should have returned it immediately.

My office staff was ready to lynch me when I first placed it online.

Let me know about your issues.  I have finally gotten the case escolated with CISCO and I might actually talk to a true engineer this afternoon.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I have a Linksys RV042 as a temporary replacement to our Cisco 2811 that is being re-configured. The reason I'm on this thread is because of the symptoms you are describing. On *certain* machines while I'm using load sharing through the router, I experience the same thing you do. If I turn off load sharing, the problem goes away. Give that a shot.

Most of my machines behave perfectly, I suspect this is a problem with the configuration of the machines that are giving me a problem but it is being aggravated by the Linksys / Cisco device.

Luckily, these machines aren't very important and when I need access stability, I know how to hobble them to get it. Please share what you find!

J

jason.mack
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Engineering asked me to changed a firewall setting.. .UDP FLOOD

"under Firewall-Basic Setting, there is an option for Block UDP Flood, if  the box is checked please un-check"

I made the change last night, and VPN tunnels seemed to have somewhat better performance last night.

This AM, I have seen no error messages on my machines as of yet.  Load is increasing, but so far I am stable

(fingers crossed)

Give it a try and let me know...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: