Views
Helpful
Replies

rv180 gets stuck

itengvall
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just purchased and configured rv180 to share 15 apartements traffic. It has a 100 Mb link in wan, and 1G switch in LAN. Typically there are home  wlan routers as LAN clients. The traffic is minimal. The device replaces old pentium PC with monnowall, which was plenty enough for performance. Now the problem is that the rv180 gets stuck about once day. I can't access it remotely, nor can the users ping it. The lights are on.

I tried now to put 10Mb QoS rate limit to see if it gets any better. Perhaps it doesn't handle packet buffers correctly, or smth. I would like to hear if this is expected quality of the product, or is this a matter of firmware  bug with memory handling or smth, or some problem with the unit?

What's your experience?

BR,

Ilkka

4 Replies 4

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

So my question is why did you replace the monowall?  If it was for stability reasons, this may not be your product.  I have several rv series in service and the only way they are reliable is because they are rebooted every day.  It's a waaaay too common solution for issues with these.

That being said, if it's running in default configuration with nothing special like VPN tunnels and the like, it may just be defective and you could try another one if you can exchange with your vendor.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Thanks Samir, I had to let monowall go, due the 7 years well served old PC that was already retired desktop PC at the time, finally died

There is nothing special in my setup. No VPN, no VLANS, no jumbo frames, no special firewall rules, no DMZ. only around ten home routers behind it. We simplified the case to minimum, but you are right, the device needs to be reset daily. Tonight I'm going to switch back the old PC, it was the PSU that failed, and I found a replacement. Weird, that the consumer technology hasn't improved to beat more than ten years old basic pentiums for simple case like this. I'm really dissappointed to the Cisco quality of these small office devices.

I'll follow your advise and try asking cisco if the device is broken. At minimum it's not performing the job it should easily handle.

BR,

Ilkka

Hi, i'm fighting against a rv180 for a week ago. It is slow, buggy and sometimes uncomprensible. I'purchased a EdgeRouter from Ubiquity to replace it inmediately. The rv has not entered in service. Rv has incomprensible lacks.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

It's pretty amazing what hardware that's thrown away in droves can actually do.  I'd replace the power supply with one from pc power and cooling and just make that pentium system rock solid.  Maybe even build a backup.  You can't beat something that reliable.

The rv-series does have some great capabilities, but with some caveats.  Even though I have to reboot my rv016s every day.  I've had them running since 2004.  At one point, one was even in a room that was 90+ degrees for two years.  I know that would have killed most equipment.

But Cisco is going to need to step up the quality of these products if they want to remain competitive.  There's a lot of products now at this price point, and it's very easy to switch to another vendor.