Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rv180 has no Radius option under Security

We have used RV180W devices and under Security there is an option to configure a RADIUS server (we use this to authenticate IPSEC VPN connections with Active Directory).

We have installed an RV180 (no wireless) and it appears to be missing the RADIUS configuration options.  The documentation does not state RADIUS is not supported on the RV180.  In fact it implies both models should support this feature (page1 under robust security).

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/routers/rv180-vpn-router/c02-699592_prod_ov.pdf

I have applied the latest (as of today) firmware version 1.0.4.14 with no change.  On a whim I checked some of the other RV180's we installed and found the radius was missing from an RV180 with 1.0.3.10 firmware too, yet all version of RV180W we have deployed do.

This is either a firmware build feature that was "missed" and never caught or the documentation does not reflect the features actually supported or was removed after release (false advertising IMHO).

I do not consider RADIUS authentication a feature exclusive to wireless.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?  Is RADIUS supported on the RV180 and if so, how do I access those settings?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve Dixon
Level 1
Level 1

Ref: Cisco Support Case 630249873

I have confirmed with Cisco support that this is a feature not in the RV180 firmware.

Adding it to the next release may not be possible so Cisco has opted replaced my unit with an RV180W that does support RADIUS authentication (one time offer I think).

Cisco did not state whether the RADIUS feature would be added to the RV180 firmware (or not) in the future.  So, either the documentation will be updated to reflect the current functionality or a future firmware update may add this feature to the RV180.  My advice would be to check the release notes for newer firmware if you require this feature or get the RV180W instead if you were considering the RV180.

Thus far my experience with the RV180W has been satisfactory (although the web gui is kind of sluggish at times).  I have also used the RV110 and found the VPN settings exposed on that to be very limited in comparison.  I choose to use the shrewsoft ipsec vpn client with the RV180W's rather than the Cisco Quick VPN client (which seems to fail to connect more than not).

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Steve Dixon
Level 1
Level 1

Ref: Cisco Support Case 630249873

I have confirmed with Cisco support that this is a feature not in the RV180 firmware.

Adding it to the next release may not be possible so Cisco has opted replaced my unit with an RV180W that does support RADIUS authentication (one time offer I think).

Cisco did not state whether the RADIUS feature would be added to the RV180 firmware (or not) in the future.  So, either the documentation will be updated to reflect the current functionality or a future firmware update may add this feature to the RV180.  My advice would be to check the release notes for newer firmware if you require this feature or get the RV180W instead if you were considering the RV180.

Thus far my experience with the RV180W has been satisfactory (although the web gui is kind of sluggish at times).  I have also used the RV110 and found the VPN settings exposed on that to be very limited in comparison.  I choose to use the shrewsoft ipsec vpn client with the RV180W's rather than the Cisco Quick VPN client (which seems to fail to connect more than not).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: