Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 PPPoE including VLAN

madcat-NL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

This week i bought a RV180 to replace a router which is delivered by a Fiber To The Home provider in the Netherlands (KPN)

In the Netherlands our FTU sends out 3 Vlans, 6 for internet, 4 for TV and 7 for telephone.

The provider uses PPPoE to connect over vlan 6 to receive the ip adres.

I would like to mimic this with the RV180, and i kinda hoped it was up for the job.

But i got my self into a bit of trouble with setting this up.

What i did do far is:

under Networking - Lan - VLAN membership -> Added VLan 6 and set it to enabled, enabled,untagged,untagged,untagged,untagged

under Networking - Lan - VLAN membership ->changed VLan 1 to enabled, enabled, exluded,excluded,excluded, Tagged

under QoS - Profiles -> added a profile with a medium priority named "internet"

under QoS - Profile binding -> enabled vlan 6 for any service for profile internet

Under Networking - WAN - PPPoE profiles -> added a profile named kpn with the correct setings (kpn@direct-adsl, kpn,enabled, auto, keep connected)

Under Networking - WAN - PPPoE profiles -> added a profile named kpn  with the correct setings (mySpoofedMacAddres@direct-adsl, kpn,enabled, auto, keep  connected)

Under Networking - WAN - IPV4 WAN internet -> selected PPPoE , tried both profiles, default, filled in spoofed mac adres

Under Networking - WAN - IPV4 WAN internet -> selected PPPoE , tried both profiles, default, filled in own mac adres (and also in cobination with correct username)

in the log i get : [rv180][System][NONE] pppoeMultipleEnableDisable: pppoe enable failed

which is probably the reason i am not getting any ip adres.

i have the latest firmware running: 1.0.3.10

For what i read on the internet, the PPPoE call should be over VLAN 6 instead of "all vlans" how can i set this up.

or even beter, who has a simliar setup and what am i missing?

Thanks in advanced

5 Replies 5

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Customer,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

The VLAN feature is intended for LAN traffic on your RV180, in other words; behind the router.  The way your ISP configure their network should not affect your PPPoE negotiation/authentication as long as the service is active, you should not configure anything in particular regarding VLAN's on  your WAN setup under normal circumstances.

If you just connect your PC to the xDSL modem, can you go online? If so that means the modem is doing the PPPoE negotiation and not the RV180, and in such a case I suggest you to set the xDSL modem as bridge so the RV180 is configured to do the PPPoE negotiation and double check if PAP or CHAP authentication type to use, so instead of using "auto" set it to either PAP or CHAP as instructed by your ISP.

Notice you may also get direct support, either chat or phone, upon availability;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/sbcountrysupport

Please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is any further assistance I may help you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Hi Jeffery,

Thanks for your reply.

good to hear that the PPPoE should not be configured,

When i connect a PC to the FTU (i do not have a ADSL router because i have Fiber to the Home) i will not receive an IP adress.

The FTU does not have any interface and just converts the Fiber to rj45, so i can not set it to bridge mode.

How would the setup be in a fiber situation?

When i connect my PC to the router which is provided by KPN everything works fine, but the quality of the router is not like cisco.

Which results in having to reset the router every few days, this is the reason i bought a the RV180.

I would like to connect the RV180 directly to the FTU, which has a rj45 connector which delivers 3 tagged vlans.

What i read on the internet, is that the PPPoE should be send over Vlan 6 and not Vlan 1

This is how the current router is configured for PPPoE:

And i would like to know how i could do the same for the RV180

i has a quick chat via the support center and 802.1Q in combination with PPPoE is not supported.

The RV315W does support this, but it's not available in the netherlands.

it looks like i have to return it to the retailer and swap it for another brand that does support this feature.

Hello

I have this same issue with Fibre in New Zealand.  A PPPoE login in our case needs to be specified on VLAN 10.  Bridge mode isn't an option and the authentication needs to happen from the router. The Huawei routers support this but not Cisco?  I prefer to use Cisco Small Business equipment for our customers.  Is this something in development for a future firmware update for the RV180?  Happy to test a beta firmware.

Thanks

I've the same problem in Spain.

3 Vlans: VOiP (VLAN2), DATA (VLAN6), VIDEO (VLAN10). Ok, I assume that not is possible TRUNK, but not is possible support PPPoE over VLAN if is needed worldwide for update the firmware ?.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: