cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 Routing Mode = Router?

patrick_keys
Level 1
Level 1

I am having trouble with the RV180 - specifically with the router implementation. Our ISP provides a routed block of 5 static IP addresses which are routed via a dynamic (public) IP address. This is BT business broadband in the UK.

The LAN segment has been configured using our public IP addresses - two hosts receive their corresponding public addresses via DHCP. The RV180 is of course allocated an address in this range for its local LAN interface. I have set routing mode to router, and have ensured that both the inbound and outbound firewall rules are set to allow all traffic.

Connecting from the internet to our machines works fine - we can access the machines via their public IP address. However, outbound packets seem to be having their addresses rewritten to match the dynamically-allocated address on the WAN interface, rather than the host address.

This is textbook NAT - yet the routing mode is set to router. Why is this happening? Surely in routing mode, packets should be passed transparently by the RV180?

We can't use One-to-One NAT to get around this problem as the software running on the hosts requires the correct public IP address to be set - i.e. we can't use a 'fake' internal IP address. So - why doesn't routing mode operate correctly? Is there something I've missed, or is this device not able to perform in this way? How can I force the RV180 not to rewrite the address in outbound packets?

1 Reply 1

j.spiess
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I had a similar problem.

I just would like to let everybody know that Cisco Support was able to help:

A simple procedure helped removing the outgoing NAT: Change Routing Mode to NAT, save, then switch back to Routing. After that my problem was solved!

Maybe to also must enable and then disable the PPTP Server (in VPN Settings) too...

JP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: