Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RV180 Sharing a Printer Across VLANs

I have a RV180 that I'm attempting to setup in a church with 3 VLANs, I'm using the default VLAN 1 (10.0.0.xxx) for the office employees and all shared resources.  VLAN 2 is for Voip phones and working perfectly.  Then VLAN 3 (10.0.3.xxx) is a guest network.  I would like for the guest network to have access to a printer with a static ip 10.0.0.50 (a Xerox WorkCentre) that is on VLAN 1, but not to have access to any other resources on VLAN 1.

How would I go about setting this up?  I was thinking it would be a static route?  But I haven't been able to get it to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Hi Eric, I do not believe there is a feature set to make an access rule for INTER-LAN communication. The access rules are built only for WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN.

I suspect you could get everything to intercommunicate without problems but I do not suspect you'd be able to limit a specific host to that resource unless the Xerox WorkCentre had some sort of firewall/access capability.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
6 REPLIES
Green

Hi Eric, I do not believe there is a feature set to make an access rule for INTER-LAN communication. The access rules are built only for WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN.

I suspect you could get everything to intercommunicate without problems but I do not suspect you'd be able to limit a specific host to that resource unless the Xerox WorkCentre had some sort of firewall/access capability.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Eric,

What Tom sais is correct - there is no option to create Access rule - LAN to LAN. So one solution to try is to create a new VLAN only for the printer and to activate "Inter VLAN Routing" for that VLAN only.

Thus all VLANs will have access to the priner, but not to each other

Regards,

Kremena

Thanks Kremena,

I think your solution with the 3rd VLAN that would normally work, but the WorkCentre also needs to communicate with a files server on the Private VLAN, So I'd still have to keep InterVLAN routing open, correct?

-Eric

Hi Tom,

You're right, I have everything communicating currently using InterVLAN Routing, but the public VLAN can reach all the resources on the Private VLAN if they know the IP.  (I'm mainly concerned about a File Server right now, but there are other some things that may come up later as well)

The WorkeCentre also needs to be on the Private VLAN because it communicates with other resources there.  (For instance, when it receives an incomming fax, it saves it to a file server on the private VLAN).  I think the Workcentre does have some firewall/access capability, but I don't need to firewall incomming connections to the Workecentre, I want everyone to be able to access it, it's just the other servers/devices that I'm concerned about.

I was hoping, that there would be a way, even if I needed to have a static IP in the Public VLAN that had a rule/route/forwarding that directed it to the Printer in the Private VLAN....  Maybe it's not possible and I'll figure some else out.  

Hi Eric,

Whit static routes/forwarding, you just direction the trafic, but with Access rules you restric/filter access from one point to other. In your case you need access rules. The trafic is well routed, the problem is that all trafic is allowed or restricted from one VLAN to other.

With this router RV180, you dont have option to configure only specified IPs from VLAN1 to have access to specified IPs from VLAN2. RV180 allows/restric the entier VLAN to have access to the other VLANs.

Than you can put all shared member of the LAN (server, printer...) to one VLAN, on  which you can enable interVLAN routing. So both private and public VLANs to have access to it.

Regards,

Kremena

Bronze

Does interlan routing pass traffic designated for another vlan?  For example, if he were to set the xerox in its own vlan3 and then enable intervlan for vlan1 to 3 and vlan2 to 3, would traffic be able to pass from 2 to 1 if the IP is known?

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Views
Helpful
Replies