cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180 VPN connection limit?

nvsmithers
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a RV180 last week and connected it to my home network. I set up a couple of QuickVPN accounts and was able to access them without issues. The problem im having is if there is one VPN session active and another client attempts to connect it stalls at the "Verifying Network" dialog and then says "The remote gateway is not responding. Do you want to wait?" Selecting yes just makes the box appear again. When this is going on, the existing vpn connection on the other account drops with the same dialog box. I can run one VPN connection all day without errors. Is there a VPN connection limit or possibly a QOS tweak I need to do so more than one connection can be made at a time?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Randy,

Are the users connecting FROM the same location? That would cause one user to drop.

- Marty

Hi Marty,

Two different locations with two different ip's.

Randy,

You should be able to connect 10 QuickVPN users at the same time with the RV180. There is no QoS tweak that can change how many users can connect. Make sure that you are on the latest firmware:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284005904&softwareid=282465789&release=1.0.3.10&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

If you are, open a support case for troubleshooting:

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

- Marty

Thanks Marty,

I was able to get two connections going last night with some testing. I believe it to be my service provider bandwidth along with Windows 8 compatibility.

sorry to jump on your thread.

just wanted to clarify something, in the first reponse to the post it was said that :-

"Are the users connecting FROM the same location? That would cause one user to drop."

are you suggesting that each VPN connection needs to be from a network different subnet?

thanks

Andrew,

I don't think that it is documented but I have seen several cases where multiple user tried to connect from the same location (same WAN IP) and when one connected, the other dropped. In some cases if one user was connected the second user would not be able to connect at all. This may not always be the case, but this has been my experience from a support perspective. In a case where multiple users need to connect from the same site, we recommend using a gateway to gateway VPN tunnel or a third party client such as Shrewsoft, The Greenbow or IPSecuritas for Mac.

- Marty

Thanks mpyhala for your quick response.

i wish i had know about this before i purchased 4 of these devices :-( hopeing that site to site Ipsec VPN subnets are not encorperated into this.

thanks for the update.

Andrew,

With a site to site tunnel there is no limit as to how many users may connect. Also, each router can connect to multiple other routers at the same time. The limitation that I mentioned applies only to QuickVPN.

- Marty