Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RV180 WAN Traffic Meter showing strange results

Hi

I activated the Traffic Meter on my RV180. After one day it showed 2GB traffic although the router not really used yet except for some www traffic.

I started to disable devices, creating firewall rules to find the one generating the traffic - no success. Finally I unplugged my modem so the there could be no traffic at all - but still RV180 shows about 10MB traffic per minute!!

Why is there traffic shown although there isn't even a WAN connection available?

• Small Business Routers
8 REPLIES
Silver

Hello Markus,

Could you take a screenshot or just type out for me the details you see under your WAN Traffic Meter page?  I am curios about inbound vs outbound, timing, etc.  Also if you could let me know which firmware version you are currently using.

You said you unplugged your modem, does that mean unplugged from the RV180's WAN port or unplugged some other way?

I am going to set one of these up in the lab tomorrow and take a look, but if you could get me that information I can be more accurate and I will reply then with what I find.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert

---

Senior Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

Hi Christopher

The only setting that is enabled on this page is "Wan Traffic Meter" (Checkbox). All other options are disabled, Traffic Limit Type is NONE.

Firmware is 1.0.3.10.

I have reset the counter and the complete router settings multiple time, but the problem always reappears.

Currently it says:

Outgoing Traffic:  175MB

Incoming Traffic:  1230MB

Average per Day: 1536MB

Also very strange, the average is higher than the total!

When I say "I unplugged my modem" I meant I unplugged the modem from power, shut it down completely so no WAN communication is possible - and still the traffic meter increased by about 10MB download per minute.

If you set up one at the lab, could you PLEASE also have a look at my other issue (

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4153873#4153873). Not being able to send emails is a big problem for me, and it seems am not the only one having this problem.

Would be really great if you could help me! Thanks in advance!

Silver

Hello Markus,

I set up a 180 in the lab connected to the internet and left it sitting for a few hours.  I did go in and download a ~600MB file, and then checked the WAN traffic meter page.  Like you I only have the WAN traffic meter box checked.

My numbers seemed to go up normally, and did not go up at all when I wasn't sending traffic.

You did say you powered down the modem and the meter still went up, was the modem still connected to the WAN port of the RV180 at the time?

What you are seeing doesn't sound like normal behavior, but so far my lab RV180 isn't displaying the same issue.

If you want I can try loading your config onto my router here and seeing if that makes any difference, although you did say you have already defaulted the device.

I also did a bit of searching and it looks like there is a fix for the average being wrong coming in the next firmware release, although I don't have a timeframe on when that will be released.

On your other issue I believe Marty has been speaking to you about that, and I agree there, you should go ahead and give us a call to open a support case.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert

---

Senior Network Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

Hi Christopher

Yes, my modem was still connected to the wan port when I powered it down.

I did some further testing and after resetting the meter it behaves normally for a while, then suddenly it starts to show the described behavior. I could not yet confirm it, but could it be that the RV180 does not like to be powered off? My RV180 is disconnected from power automatically every night from 1:00 to 5:00 - could that cause the issue?

Thanks

Markus

Gold

Markus,

Disconnecting the power for several hours is the same as rebooting the device. If anything a reboot should refresh the counter and cause it to work correctly. For what length of time does it work correctly before it starts to show false activity?

- Marty

Hi Marty

My first assumption that the reboot triggers it was not correct. Last night RV180 was powered off, this morning the meter was not reset and still shows correct behavior.

Sometimes the behavior starts after a few hours, sometimes after 2 days.

Christopher talked about a firmware update. When will news about it be available (fixed issues, release date etc.)?

Gold

Markus,

Unfortunately firmware release dates are not widely advertised, so I could only guess. According to the release notes there are still some known issues so I am sure that the development team is working on a new release. To be certain that they are aware of your issue(s), I recommend that you open a case with support. If your issue(s) cannot be resolved by support, your case can be escalated. If the escalation and development team are not aware of your issue, a bug will be logged and they will try to resolve it in the next firmware release.

- Marty

Bronze

Definitely a bug.  Just ignore it unless you need it for something.  Then just change to a different firmware to get that feature that you need.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Views
Helpful
Replies