Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W - Access Rules Don't Work

ITAdmin482
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a RV180W and the Access Rules will not work.  I'm trying to block HTTP and HTTPS services for a specific workstation on our LAN, but the access rules don't seem to be working.  I've also tried blocking different services as well as ANY service, but it's not working.  I've tried rebooting the router after adjusting settings; I've tried adjusting services from the Port Forwarding menu first; and a couple weeks ago, I upgraded the firmware to version 1.0.2.6 and repeated all the previous steps.  Nothing seems to be working.  So far the only solution I could come up with is to block the workstation's MAC address altogether, but I don't want that because I still need it to hit the internet for other services.

Thank you,

Ryan

8 Replies 8

ITAdmin482
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so I just found new firmware version 1.0.3.10, so I'll give that a try and post back with my findings.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

It's strange that the rules don't work, but that can happen.

One solution that may work is to use access rules for that IP and the destination IP.  This way, you can enable any type of access to certain IPs, but not others.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

anmayfie
Level 1
Level 1

I found an article that might be of some use to you. It explains how to create an access rule on the RV180W. I hope it provides some help.

Add Access Rules on RV180 and RV180W

ITAdmin482
Level 1
Level 1

These are the Access Rules I've tried (firmware v1.0.2.6):

Outbound:

Inbound along with the auto added Port Forwarding setting:

Wow, those access rules look perfect.  Something is definitely wrong.  Have you tried resetting to factory defaults and starting over?

Ok so I've flashed the router with firmware v1.0.3.10 for the RV180W and I checked "Reset to Factory Defaults" when I did it.  I put back all my settings and tried the Access Rules again.  I'm still getting the same result:  Access Rules and Port Forwarding are not working at all.  I made sure I hit save on each screen and I even rebooted the router.

I'm stumped.

When playing with the Access Rules right now, when I click on "Reorder", the rules are coming up incomplete and following error shows up in red:  "$| trStrings["11383"] or 'i18nHTMLMissing' |$"

I'm using Firefox v23, but the same error shows up in IE v8 and Chrome v29.

Something is definitely not right with it.  It shouldn't have those glitches showing up no matter what.  Have you talked to Cisco support yet?  Or better yet, just exchange it if you can.  I believe it's a hardware defect somehow related to the RAM.    

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: