Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W - Multiple wireless access points

dvelpel4425
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there, looking for some advice.

I currently have two (2) Cisco RV180W devices and im looking at expanding my wireless saturation within my house and looking for the best way. a bit of back story... I originally had a signal (1) RV180W and it was located in my basement (basically a pop room setup) and on the top floor of my home the signal was very week. I found an blurb mentioned due to the the RV180W chipset the best wireless extender/expander was actually another RV180W and just used in a access point mode. So now that I have two of these devices whats them best way to set them up? I've seen two different implementations in this scenario and im not to sure which is best.

1. setup a WDS network. add each as authorized access points.

2. setup each with the same SSID but set on different channels.

Whats the best setup to get best wireless saturation within the home as well maintain client connections when hoping between AP's? also looking for ease of management.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I would say your best bet here would be option 2, with a wired connection between them.

WDS can be useful, but it has a few disadvantages.  For every hop you take your speed will get cut in half, since each station can only send or receive at once, not both.  With a wired connection you eliminate that extra hop from one router to the other over the air and can get better wireless performance.

One thing I should mention is that neither setup will result in clients maintaining connections perfectly while hopping between APs.  That would require something called seamless roaming, which is only available on enterprise access points where there is a wireless LAN controller involved.  

However, most of the time when clients hop between two networks it will be very quick and they will only briefly lose connections. The decision on when to switch over is up to the client itself though, so not every device will act the same way.

So in short the same SSID on different channels is your best bet, ideally channels 1, 6, or 11 so you don't have any overlap.

As for ease of management they will basically be two independent devices, each managed separately.  But once you configure the access point RV180 there won't be too many reasons to have to change the configuration, aside from maybe changing the wireless password.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I would say your best bet here would be option 2, with a wired connection between them.

WDS can be useful, but it has a few disadvantages.  For every hop you take your speed will get cut in half, since each station can only send or receive at once, not both.  With a wired connection you eliminate that extra hop from one router to the other over the air and can get better wireless performance.

One thing I should mention is that neither setup will result in clients maintaining connections perfectly while hopping between APs.  That would require something called seamless roaming, which is only available on enterprise access points where there is a wireless LAN controller involved.  

However, most of the time when clients hop between two networks it will be very quick and they will only briefly lose connections. The decision on when to switch over is up to the client itself though, so not every device will act the same way.

So in short the same SSID on different channels is your best bet, ideally channels 1, 6, or 11 so you don't have any overlap.

As for ease of management they will basically be two independent devices, each managed separately.  But once you configure the access point RV180 there won't be too many reasons to have to change the configuration, aside from maybe changing the wireless password.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*