Helpful
Replies

RV180W - RV220W Gateway VPN

xdavid1960
Level 1
Level 1

Branch office: RV180W with firmware 1.0.1.9

Head office: RV220W with firmware: 1.0.4.17

Synopsis: The gateway to gateway VPN was working fine until the main office public IP got changed. I first just changed the VPN policies at each end to reflect the new WAN IP but this didn't work (although VPN status showed as 'up'). I then deleted all VPN policies and entered them from new - still doesn't work (despite VPN status showing as connected).

Observation: When I ping the head office router's LAN IP from a client in the branch office, I can see the received and transmitted packets increasing on the RV220 (IPsec Connection Status) but no ping is returned (ping is enabled on the router). Similarly if I ping an internal server (which I know will return the ping). Pinging via the router's Diagnostics page (through VPN) also shows no response. It is as if there is no route back for the returned traffic (also same using other communication apart from ping - e.g., telnetting to mail server on port 25)

Question: Should the routing table on each router show a route for the VPN traffic? I.e., should there be a destination entry with the remote LAN IP network? The only private IPs showing in the routing tables are the ones for the local LAN.

If someone can answer the first question above, I'll take it from there.

Thanks.

EDIT...

Running a tcpdump on the main office server, I can see incoming traffic from the remote office computer and a response going out to that computer's remote LAN IP, however, a tcpdump at the sending computer only shows the outgoing request - no incoming response.

Message was edited by: David Brown

1 Reply 1

xdavid1960
Level 1
Level 1

bump...

It would be really good if someone with a RV220 gateway VPN can check their routing table and let me know if it shows the remote LAN network. Ta.