Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RV215w SSL certificate, simply can't understand

Sorry, but I simply can't undertstand how to avoid SSL warnings while connecting to my RV215w webgui. Every time I open it in browser I get SSL error.

IE:

There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Chrome:

You attempted to reach <<router local ip>>, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as <<router mac address>>. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of <<router local ip>>.

I can ignore it and manage my router, but it will be nice for me to resolve it. I already open certificate in IE and install it as Trusted root, but it do not change anything, i still get warnings everytime.

• Small Business Routers
3 REPLIES
Gold

Alex,

If you use Firefox to manage the device you have the option to not see the warning again. IE and Chrome have no workaround that I am aware of. The message comes from the browser because the certificate is not signed by an authority. You could get a signed certificate and install it on the router but from what I've read and heard it is more work than it is worth. If it is a problem to see the message every time you login, I recommend Firefox.

- Marty

Thank you, just one question

>> You could get a signed certificate and install it on the router

In this case I need to get certificate exactly for address that I used to open webgui? If I use 192.168.0.1 - I will need certificate for "192.168.0.1"? Not sure that this is possible But I understand how to setup domain name for my WAN ip and use it futher.

>>
If it is a problem to see the message every time you login

Not a big - just think that I missed something in setup of cisco router. My previous routers just didn't used https.

Gold

Alex,

In this case I need to get certificate exactly for address that I used to open webgui? If I use 192.168.0.1 - I will need certificate for "192.168.0.1"? Not sure that this is possible But I understand how to setup domain name for my WAN ip and use it futher.

I am no expert when it comes to SSL certificates. My understanding is that when accessing the router locally there is little risk in using the default certificate. Using Remote Management could allow a man in the middle attack from a determined hacker. I always connect to my router through VPN so it is of little concern to me.

- Marty

Views
Helpful
Replies