cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W firmware 1.0.5.8 PPPoE fails to connect to AT&T/BellSouth

jwrooks
Level 1
Level 1

Just upgraded my RV220W firmware to version 1.0.5.8 and now I can't connect to AT&T/BellSouth anymore. Reset my DSL modem to remove bridge mode and my credentials work fine connecting in the modem. It worked fine before the new firmware was loaded.

3 Replies 3

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Jim,

Try cloning the MAC address of the working PC to the non-working router:

Networking-> IPv4 WAN (Internet): MAC Address Source = Use This Computer's Address

- Marty

Hi Marty,

Interesting suggestion. Is there something wrong with the MAC address of the WAN in the router? Just curious why this would change this situation. When you say working PC, any PC on the network? There are many.

I opened up a case with support on this and after a power cycle of my DSL modem and the router, it did connect. They closed the case. Next time I restarted the router, it won't connect again.

To get my network reconnected to the internet, I had to reset the DSL modem to take it out of bridge mode. Change the RV220 to just DHCP mode rather than PPPoE. I guess the network works fine in this mode, but I can't connect into the VPN from outside the network. Not real useful...

Jim

Jim,

The idea is to trick the modem into thinking that the PC is connecting, not the router. Modems hate to connect to routers and love to connect to PCs. I cannot explain why that is but every router manufacturer includes a way to clone a PCs MAC for that very reason. You want to clone the MAC of a PC that has successfully connected to the modem. Don't worry about the devices having the same MAC address, as they will be on completely different networks (WAN vs. LAN).

- Marty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: