cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W - Firmware Update before EOL?

panos.asproulis
Level 1
Level 1

Any chance we are going to see a firmware update for the RV220W before it becomes obsolete?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

36 Replies 36

michael.dresser
Level 1
Level 1

Yes I have to say it worrys me slightly too. It's all gone very quiet on the update front.

mikeatroundhere
Level 1
Level 1

I too am concerned.  This device has had a large number of unusable core features since inception and its already been replaced with a product equipped with a change in CPU architecture and everything.  Makes me feel as though it has been abandoned.  I hope the fabled beta release fixing a number of issues makes the light of day or we are offered rv180w devices.

As far as I can tell cisco are working on a firmware but I doubt they will release it until the solve a few outstanding issues. are any of you running the beta firmware at present?

Regards Simon

panos.asproulis
Level 1
Level 1

I've tried some beta versions but they have their own special problems. I don't understand why it takes them so long to release a new version.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Panos Asproulis wrote:

I don't understand why it takes them so long to release a new version.

Just like any firmware tbh they take time. if a developer runs into a problem then it has to be identified, replicated, then fixed, then tested, before any official release. problem is with the GPL Licencing laws, if a new firmware is released, so the source code has to be released as well. releasing source code takes a VERY long time to remove the closed cource code and make sure nothing by open source is made freely available.

I'm not trying to defend Cisco with the SMB routers far from it, but unfortunately it takes time, something that most users dont have.

I have found 1.0.3.5 very stable in my setup, but when loading a beta 1.0.4.1x then i have random reboot issues. Cisco are looking into these.

I also hope that something more stable is made available soon as my RV220W is setup for cisco to try to find the route cause.

So far I've not yet seen if any 3rd party developer (OpenWRT, DDWRT, Tomato) able to compile the open source and make their own firmware for this device.  it would be nice to see if they could.

Simon

http://www.linksysinfo.org

Regards Simon

I am a software developer myself which is why I believe that there is an exceedingly long delay in releasing an update to this firmware. After all, this is a Linux-based firmware used extensively in several variants on many other routers and not a custom firmware written from scratch for this particular router. The only explanation I can think of is that Cisco does not care for this product anymore because it prefers to sell new hardware rather than use resources to update existing hardware since this kind of work does not bring profits. The problem though is that the current firmware is so buggy that it does not support the advertised features.

indizas_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

This will be our last Cisco SMB device if the firmware is abandoned at 1.0.3.5

The VLAN features need urgent attention for a start.

There is no EOL plan for RV220W currently. Firmware 1.0.4.x is going through the development/test process, and will be released when the required testing is done.

Is there an ETA on when this required testing will be done?

There is no ETA, but it's likely in July or August 2012.

All this time for yet another 1.0.4.x version? I would expect at least a 2.x version after all this time with a whole new set of features on top of bug fixes! This is unbelievable!

Panos Asproulis wrote:

I would expect at least a 2.x version after all this time with a whole new set of features on top of bug fixes! This is unbelievable!

What you expect, and what you get is two different matters

Regards Simon

Simon Slater wrote:

Panos Asproulis wrote:

I would expect at least a 2.x version after all this time with a whole new set of features on top of bug fixes! This is unbelievable!

What you expect, and what you get is two different matters

I expect a little more from Cisco! It would be great to try the 1.0.4.x beta firmware, but I cannot just send them a packet capture of the network (breach of privacy). I am waiting and hoping on the new firmware: if it has a fix for the main issue (connection loss) then I can put up with it, otherwise it will need to be replaced unfortunately.

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] BOOT BUS: Address decode error

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] Out of socket memory

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] TCP: too many of orphaned sockets

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] WARNING:cvmx_ptr_to_phys() passed a NULL pointer

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] cvm_ipfwd_cache_flow: Failed to allocate flow info buffer

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] Call Trace:[][][] ....

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] ERROR:endChantRecv: protocol PNAC returned !OK

[rv220w]Sat Jan  1 00:02:12 2000(UTC) [rv220w][Local0-wireless][PNAC_USR] Error from pnacPhyPortDestroy: port not configured

[rv220w]Sat Jan  1 00:02:12 2000(UTC) [rv220w][Local0-wireless][PNAC_USR] pnacUmiPhyPortDestroy: Failed to destroy the port
[rv220w]Sat Jan  1 00:02:12 2000(UTC) [rv220w][System][PLATFORM] profile default doesnt exist.
[rv220w]Sat Jan  1 00:02:12 2000(UTC) [rv220w][System][PLATFORM] Deletion of EAP Profile failed

[rv220w]Sat Jan  1 10:02:40 2000(GMT+1000) [rv220w][System][NIMF] nimfNetIfaceTblHandler: unable to get LedPinId

Try to ask TeamF1 (http://www.teamf1.com), the actual developer of the firmware for RV220W. Many "Cisco" SB devices are equipped with OEM firmware.