Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV220W - Firmware Update before EOL?

Any chance we are going to see a firmware update for the RV220W before it becomes obsolete?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

36 REPLIES

Yes I have to say it worrys me slightly too. It's all gone very quiet on the update front.

Re: RV220W - Firmware Update before EOL?

I too am concerned.  This device has had a large number of unusable core features since inception and its already been replaced with a product equipped with a change in CPU architecture and everything.  Makes me feel as though it has been abandoned.  I hope the fabled beta release fixing a number of issues makes the light of day or we are offered rv180w devices.

Silver

As far as I can tell cisco are working on a firmware but I doubt they will release it until the solve a few outstanding issues. are any of you running the beta firmware at present?

Regards Simon http://www.linksysinfo.org

I've tried some beta versions but they have their own special problems. I don't understand why it takes them so long to release a new version.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Silver

Panos Asproulis wrote:

I don't understand why it takes them so long to release a new version.

Just like any firmware tbh they take time. if a developer runs into a problem then it has to be identified, replicated, then fixed, then tested, before any official release. problem is with the GPL Licencing laws, if a new firmware is released, so the source code has to be released as well. releasing source code takes a VERY long time to remove the closed cource code and make sure nothing by open source is made freely available.

I'm not trying to defend Cisco with the SMB routers far from it, but unfortunately it takes time, something that most users dont have.

I have found 1.0.3.5 very stable in my setup, but when loading a beta 1.0.4.1x then i have random reboot issues. Cisco are looking into these.

I also hope that something more stable is made available soon as my RV220W is setup for cisco to try to find the route cause.

So far I've not yet seen if any 3rd party developer (OpenWRT, DDWRT, Tomato) able to compile the open source and make their own firmware for this device.  it would be nice to see if they could.

Simon

http://www.linksysinfo.org

I am a software developer myself which is why I believe that there is an exceedingly long delay in releasing an update to this firmware. After all, this is a Linux-based firmware used extensively in several variants on many other routers and not a custom firmware written from scratch for this particular router. The only explanation I can think of is that Cisco does not care for this product anymore because it prefers to sell new hardware rather than use resources to update existing hardware since this kind of work does not bring profits. The problem though is that the current firmware is so buggy that it does not support the advertised features.

This will be our last Cisco SMB device if the firmware is abandoned at 1.0.3.5

The VLAN features need urgent attention for a start.

There is no EOL plan for RV220W currently. Firmware 1.0.4.x is going through the development/test process, and will be released when the required testing is done.

Is there an ETA on when this required testing will be done?

There is no ETA, but it's likely in July or August 2012.

All this time for yet another 1.0.4.x version? I would expect at least a 2.x version after all this time with a whole new set of features on top of bug fixes! This is unbelievable!

Silver

Panos Asproulis wrote:

I would expect at least a 2.x version after all this time with a whole new set of features on top of bug fixes! This is unbelievable!

What you expect, and what you get is two different matters

Simon Slater wrote:

Panos Asproulis wrote:

I would expect at least a 2.x version after all this time with a whole new set of features on top of bug fixes! This is unbelievable!

What you expect, and what you get is two different matters

I expect a little more from Cisco! It would be great to try the 1.0.4.x beta firmware, but I cannot just send them a packet capture of the network (breach of privacy). I am waiting and hoping on the new firmware: if it has a fix for the main issue (connection loss) then I can put up with it, otherwise it will need to be replaced unfortunately.

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] BOOT BUS: Address decode error

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] Out of socket memory

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] TCP: too many of orphaned sockets

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] WARNING:cvmx_ptr_to_phys() passed a NULL pointer

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] cvm_ipfwd_cache_flow: Failed to allocate flow info buffer

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] Call Trace:[][][] ....

rv220w KERNEL [Kernel] ERROR:endChantRecv: protocol PNAC returned !OK

[rv220w]Sat Jan  1 00:02:12 2000(UTC) [rv220w][Local0-wireless][PNAC_USR] Error from pnacPhyPortDestroy: port not configured

[rv220w]Sat Jan  1 00:02:12 2000(UTC) [rv220w][Local0-wireless][PNAC_USR] pnacUmiPhyPortDestroy: Failed to destroy the port
[rv220w]Sat Jan  1 00:02:12 2000(UTC) [rv220w][System][PLATFORM] profile default doesnt exist.
[rv220w]Sat Jan  1 00:02:12 2000(UTC) [rv220w][System][PLATFORM] Deletion of EAP Profile failed

[rv220w]Sat Jan  1 10:02:40 2000(GMT+1000) [rv220w][System][NIMF] nimfNetIfaceTblHandler: unable to get LedPinId

Try to ask TeamF1 (http://www.teamf1.com), the actual developer of the firmware for RV220W. Many "Cisco" SB devices are equipped with OEM firmware.

Silver

Sqs718191 wrote:

I expect a little more from Cisco! It would be great to try the 1.0.4.x beta firmware, but I cannot just send them a packet capture of the network (breach of privacy).

Then use the Beta firmware and dont send any packet captures to them,  whats the harm in trying a Beta firmware to see if it fixes your issue?

Beta firmware is not generally released to the public becuase of a number of issues. one main one being GPL licencing laws -  ie - gpl-violations.org

example....

I used to put beta firmware from Cisco/Linksys on my forums linksysinfo.org until i was threatened with closure by

gpl-violations.org as i did not have the source to readily available for users to download if they wanted too. My site had over 50,000 downloads at that time, and not even one user had asked me "Where was the Source code"  The law actually infringed on Normal users getting the firmware!!!!

Then Cisco/Linksys went to close there door on Beta firmware distribution. you can thank  gpl-violations.org's for that. not betas are rare and source code takes ages to edit for public consumption, thus holding back Official firmware releases as well.

Anyhow you say that Cisco have not done much in the way of releasing official firmware, this is due to set backs in the beta firmware.

since 1.0.3.5 there has been 40 changes/fixes upto 1.04.11 beta. Cisco/TeamF1 ARE working on getting some bugs squashed, but until that happens, we wont have any new official firmware.

Regards Simon

Hi Simon,

I would gladly try beta firmware! However when I contacted Cisco, they refused to supply it if I did not provide a packet capture log.

I have dialled down the logging (just critical/error levels now, removed notice/warning levels) to 1 remote syslog target (from 3) and also enabled e-mailing of the logs so it will clear any existing logs. Whilst I can't see warning level messages anymore, I have not yet encountered an error level message or seen any issues with packet loss. But at this point, it is looking good - (errors were encountered frequently) - time will tell.

(The logging of packets/firewall has all been disabled previously - too heavy on the cpu)

Cheers,

Sam.

Silver

Check your Private Messages

I am also looking for beta firmware if anyone can assist with that. I am running 1.0.3.5 and having many issues. The main issue is the inability to have multiple VPN connections via QuickVPN. I can successfully connect a single user but not multiple at the same time. SSL VPN is not an option due to 64-bit OS and PPTP connection times out every time. Has anyone else ran into this multiple VPN user issue?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Also does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement Firewall/VPN appliance so that I can put the RV220W into a box?

Silver

Beta firmware is available from the Cisco SBSC. though 1.0.4.x is buggy at present.

What happens when you try multiple connects of QuickVPN?  i tak eit each user has a different logon and they are not using the same account details?

As to 64bit SSL VPN, i just tried it now it works;) are you using a 64bit Browser in Administrator mode?

As to a replacement. depends do you need Wifi?  the RV042G is a pretty solid performer with Gigabit WAN/LAN ports though does not have Wifi.

Regards Simon

Thanks Simon.  I will try to obtain it.

When a user is connected via QuickVPN and another user trys to connect they time out and are asked if they want to disconnect or wait.  Yes every user has a unique user name and password.  The separate users work independent of one another as long as another user isn't connected.

I will try the 64bit SSL VPN.  That would almost make my issues go away.

I don't care about WiFi, just a decent firewall with solid VPN performance.  The specs on the RV220W are exactly what I need.

How do you actually get your hands on these BETA firmwares? Everytime I try to get in touch with someone at Cisco Small Business support asking for a BETA firmware they keep pretending no such thing exists.

Silver

You should try asking again, though i'm back to 1.0.3.5 since the random reboots were giving me some serious headaches

Regards Simon

I wonder if the quality of firmware for the RV-series of routers is as bad as that for the RV220W.

Silver

I can only vouch for the RV042G which has a similar Chipset (Cavium) but its WebGUI is much faster, reboots in approx 30-45 secs and seems to be a solid performer.. I've had a couple of RV042 v1 Units before which also performed well.

I also have RV110W, RV180, RV180W but not as yet tested these out.

Regards Simon

I had a look at TeamF1's web site, the company that does the firmware for Cisco's small routers. It's one of these Indian software development companies that Western companies use for outsourcing. Instead of hiring software developers in the US, at a time when that country has a big unemployment problem, they prefer to outsource their development in order to further increase their profits. And having experience with outsourcing software to India, I am not surprised at the sorry state of the firmware this router has, as well as the huge delays in providing updates. But what is more important for a company? Making a product that works as advertised or increasing profits? The answer is obvious!

Nothing wrong with outsourcing (or there is, but that's another thread!). Cisco are still responsible for the quality of the end product - which is rubbish. I sincerely hope people are not actually using an RV220W as their main firewall: it isn't up to the job (I can crash the router remotely in 30 seconds! and I would hazard a guess that further investigation would show up some more serious security concerns.) It appears too they've just duped the RV120W firmware and modified as required... they're still using the wrong Broadcom driver for the switch in v1.0.3.5 though.

I'm using it solely as a wireless access point now, and for that - it is okay, but nothing special or deserving of the Cisco brand (and yes, still have error level log messages every 5-10 minutes). But it has been relatively stable.

I have to agree with Sqs718191, the RV220W has been a big disappointment from day one. I can bring it down with moderate web usage from only two computers. It grinds to a halt and just sits there. I compare it to an old Linksys 54G with DD-WRT which takes all I throw at it and keeps on going. I bought the RV220W for the VPN capabilities for my remote users, but have yet to be able to use them due to the router not being able to handle regular traffic. I might try to DMZ the RV220W and see if I can get the VPN to work that way, otherwise it is just another box with lights. Maybe we can get the DD-WRT guys to write code for it.

It doesn't live up to the 'Cisco' Reputation. I am disappointed.

I bought this router because of its high performance and quality hardware. Unfortunately, the firmware is not up to the task of properly implementing the advertised features. I don't know if this has something to do with the architecture of this particular router or whether this is the case for all or most RV-series routers. This is very disappointing indeed. And on top of that, there seems to be no interest from Cisco to produce a reliable firmware as soon as possible or, if that is not possible, recall the router and offer an alternative device as a replacement. I am sure that outsourcing is an important factor for the low quality of this firmware and I don't understand how come a big company like Cisco cannot afford to hire developers working exclusively for their Linux-based routers and switches. Is profit so much more important than their reputation? After all, if they keep on producing products of this quality their sales will eventually go down together with their reputation and profits.

I am not going to feed any type of fire, but we found the RV220W to be just a little too buggy.  We replaced it with an SA540, and we are very glad we did so.  At first we found the IPS lacking, but Cisco just released updated signatures.  The ProtectLink Web functionality is perfect for our needs.

We still have the RV220W, and based on the chatter here on the forums and our discussions with Cisco's SMB team, we feel the next firmware release will make the RV220W a top notch SMB router.  I think the tech told me that they have already gone through 4 or 5 beta firmwares releases trying to get some things ironed out.  We will deploy the RV220W at another location if the next firmware release proves to be more reliable.

Fingers crossed.

Also, outsourcing isn't always a bad thing.  Especially if the regression testing is being performed by knowledgeable folks.  I'm a software engineer and IMHO QA testing is the best way to find bugs.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content