Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W - Maximum of 4 vlans, really ?

michael.dresser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am sure with earlier firmwares more than 4 vlans could be configured. We have now started using SIP for phone calls and we wanted our voice traffic putting on a different vlan. Although the router allowed us to enter the details, when saved the new vlan disappeared. Strange that when it only allows 4, that the config page allows you to add another.

Why has this router been restricted to 4 vlans?

Is this maximum a restriction imposed by the hardware used in the RV220W?

Is it possible to request that this restriction be removed, or at least increased to an acceptable number for a Small Business Router?

I really can't imagine that 4 vlans is enough for any business these days.

Is there an alternative solution, I really don't want to buy a new router.

Thanks

Michael.

24 Replies 24

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting. What firmware are you using on the RV220W? I just added 10 VLANs to one running 1.3.0.5.

Hi,

I'm currently running 1.0.3.5.

Here is what the config page says under VLAN Membership.

Create VLANs and assign the Outgoing Frame Type.

Up to Four new VLANs can be created. VLAN IDs must be in the range (2..4093)

Michael,

I guess I missed the fine print. I was able to create up to 10 VLANs before I saw an error. Interestingly after I deleted 4-10, VLAN 11 suddenly showed up. (I got an error trying to create VLAN 11) According to the Data Sheet, you can create up to 16 VLANs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps9923/ps11025/data_sheet_c78-630461.html

It's strange, I just removed a VLAN bring the total down to 3, but it wouldn't let me re-create it. I ended up having to restore from a back up.

So why does the config page say you can have up to 4 new VLANS, but the documentation states 16?

16 active VLANs (1-4096 range)

Is this worth raising with Cisco, or do you work for Cisco mpyhala?

Michael,

I work for Cisco. If you are able, please call Small Business Support at 1-866-606-1866 and open a case. If the issue is confirmed your case will be escalated and a fix hopefully provided in the next firmware.

Cool, before doing that, I may just re-set it to it defaults and try again just to see if somthing in my configuration is causing the issue.

Thanks for the help, I'll update this thread when I know more.

Michael.

Michael,

I found something of interest in the Release Notes for 1.0.3.5 firmware:

"VLANs created in version 1.0.1.0 or earlier may fail when upgrading to

version 1.0.2.4 or later."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv220w/release/notes/rv220w_rn_1-0-3-5.pdf

I think that setting the device to factory defaults and reconfiguring is the way to go if the VLANs were created with an old firmware.

Interesting, I tried rebuilding everything from scratch but I just couldn't get it to work, and I have now realised my existing vlans don't work either after restoring my config.

Is it possible to get a copy of the previous firmware? as I don't have time to mess around with this now and I need to get things back up and running asap. The previous version is no longer available for download, can I get this from support, or does anyone else have a copy?

Many Thanks

Michael.

The oldest version I have is 1.0.0.26

I uploaded it to megaupload for you...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HZACVK0D

Many thanks Curtis, I appreciate it.

Maybe before reverting back to an earlier firmware (If it's possible) I should try and get this working with the latest firmware. My issues is I don't have enough of an understanding about vlans. So I am hoping someone here can help me out here.

I have the following vlans:

Here is what I am trying to achieve:

VLAN 1 is to use port 1 - This connects to a Netgear switch.

VLAN 5 & 10 use port 4 - This also connect to a Netgear switch with the same vlans configured.

VLAN 15 is for a wireless network only.

I also want to add VLAN 20 which will also use port 2 only.

Is this possible?

It's my understanding that the RV220W supported 16 VLANs in the beginning (as documented on several websites such as Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-RV220W-Wireless-Security-Connectivity/dp/B004H8FSQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326042435&sr=8-1), but has recently downgraded the limit to 4.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You may be surprised to know that most SMBs actually use one or two at most VLANs, and that works well enough for them. Most of their admind do not even know what a VLAN is.

You may not want to buy another router, but if your needs are not the ones of the typical SMB, you should understand that you will need to buy an enterprise-class Cisco router.

Well I am back up and running using 1.0.0.26.

Paolo, I understand that for most small businesses 4 vlans is more than enough, and as you say most won't even know what they are. My issues is that this router fitted my needs perfectly when it first came out allowing up to 16 vlans, and also allowing port based vlans. Since they have reduced the number of allowed vlans, and removed the port vlans, it no longer meets my requirements.

I am amazed that they have done this, and since the router is less than a year old I am wondering if a refund is at all possible as the router no longer meets the requirements it was originally bought for, and as it no longer does what it was initially advertised to do.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: