Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W - Maximum of 4 vlans, really ?

michael.dresser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am sure with earlier firmwares more than 4 vlans could be configured. We have now started using SIP for phone calls and we wanted our voice traffic putting on a different vlan. Although the router allowed us to enter the details, when saved the new vlan disappeared. Strange that when it only allows 4, that the config page allows you to add another.

Why has this router been restricted to 4 vlans?

Is this maximum a restriction imposed by the hardware used in the RV220W?

Is it possible to request that this restriction be removed, or at least increased to an acceptable number for a Small Business Router?

I really can't imagine that 4 vlans is enough for any business these days.

Is there an alternative solution, I really don't want to buy a new router.

Thanks

Michael.

24 Replies 24

mpyhala has confirmed this bug.  I'm sure he'll let the engineers know so they can engage the issue.

Curtis Counsil wrote:

mpyhala has confirmed this bug.  I'm sure he'll let the engineers know so they can engage the issue.

I do hope so, I would like to know why the vlan number has been reduced and the port based vlans removed from the firmware. I am going to ring tomorrow to see if I can find more information about on why these features were removed.

Does anyone have either 1.0.2.4 or 1.0.2.3 firmwares they could share?Anything above 1.0.1.0 which isn't 1.0.3.5.

Ask and you shall receive.  1.0.2.4 uploaded to megaupload...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5OU5195S

Thanks Curtis, I've just tried 1.0.2.4 and it's the same.

Don't suppose you have anything between 1.0.1.0 and 1.0.2.4?

Was there a 1.0.2.1?

Ok, I have been on to Small Business Support today and raised the issue, he didn't have any answers but he is going to look into why the number of allowed vlans has been reduced to 4, and why port based vlans has been removed.

I do hope this can be resolved, I really do love this router, it stood apart from all others in the market.

Ok, so after some research it appears you can still add up to 16 vlans even though the documention states you can only add 4 new vlans, which is also what the interface says.

As for Port vlans this is still possible but the interface for this was far better and easier to understand in previous versions. But I havemade progress thanks to the support team. I am however still having issues. Below is what I am trying to acieve as well as my current config.

Currently when I connect port 2 from the cisco to port 13 on the netgear, anything plugged into ports 15 and 16 on the netgear do not get IP addresses, and my Vonage SIP device which plugs into port 4 of the Cisco losses connectivity to the internet.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I need to change?

This was my old config with the 1.0.0.28 firmware. I don't think it's possible to re-create this with the new firmware.

Can any one offer any help?

Thanks

Michael.

tonynguyen1
Level 1
Level 1

I am completely confused!

Can 4 VLANS or 16 VLANS be configured on the RV220W?

If I had a switch like a SG2000 where I could create 200VLANS, would the RV220W be able to route for all 200 or only 4 or 16?

Hi Tony,

I will drag out my RV220W.

Datasheet specifically shows ;

VLAN support

Port-based and 802.1q tag-based VLANs, inter-VLAN routing

Number of VLANs

16 active VLANs (1-4096 range)

My concern is,  will the Rv220W assign separate routable IP subnets to each of those 16 VLANS. I just can't recollect..

Since it's saturday here, and I can't speak to the Product Manager for verification purposes today, I'll pull out my Rv220W and check it out.

I have seen datasheet errors in the past, but the screen captures  in other postings above are convincing,  they  validate what is shown in the datasheet.

regards Dave

hi all

I am running the latest Generally Available firmware, 1.0.3.5, released Nov 2011..

I can create 16 vlans on my RV220W.

As you can see, in the screen capture below, I tagged port 4 of the Rv220w to be a tagged member of VLANs 2-16.

The router automatically allocated a DHCP scope to this new VLAN, as per the screen capture below.

I then plugged a CAT5e cable from the RV220W port 4 to a SRW248G4P-K9-NA, interface Gig3.

• I tagged Gig3 on the switch for vlans 2-16.

• I set interface FastEthernet2 to be untagged in vlan2

• I set interface FastEthernet3 to be untagged in vlan3

• I set interface FastEthernet4 to be untagged in vlan4

• ...and so on, up to FastEthernet 16

This allowed me to check if I could get a different Network IP address allocated to my PC via the DHCP server built into the Rv220W.

Everything work fine.

Datasheet was correct, 16 vlans on a Small Business router, the RV220W and it does provide routing and DHCP services.

RV220W is a small business router, Cisco did define small business as sub 100 people, so position this router appropriately in the end user environment..

regards Dave