Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

RV220W problems authenticating with Huawei HG8245

Hi,

I recently had fibre installed whereas previously I was using ADSL.  I have been using an RV220W switch on my internal network for many months and that worked just fine in conjunction with a Zyxel modem in bridging mode with the RV220W authenticating.

As my new service provider insisted that I use a Huawei HG8245 to connect to my new fibre connection I first asked them whether or not it would work in bridging mode.  They assured me that it would.  I can successfully connect using the HG8245 as a switch and modem combined, although I note that the WAN configuration in the HG8245 has a VLAN setting, which is configured on 10.  I can also configure the HG8245 in bridging mode and use an XP box to connect to it with the XP box doing the authentication in PPPoE encapsulation mode with no apparent VLAN settings such that the XP box obtains a routable IP address from my service provider.

When I try and connect to my service provider with the RV220W doing the authentication without a VLAN setting it simply reports that it is 'connecting' but it has never successfully obtained a routeable IP address from my service provider.  Given this, it seems to me that there is an issue with the RV220W firmware in that it doesn't facilitate specifying a VLAN setting for the purposes of authenticating on the WAN port.  I am using the latest firmware 1.0.5.8.  How to configure the RV220W to authenticate on VLAN 10?  I note that the RV220W has VLAN settings  under networking, but will that enable me to authenticate on the WAN on VLAN 10?  It seems to me that the VLAN settings in the RV220W are for the purposes of creating VLANs on my internal network rather than for authenticating on the WAN.

Any insights would be gratefully received.

http://www.huawei.com/en/products/fixed-access/fttx/ont/hg8245/index.htm

2 REPLIES
Silver

Hello Steve,Just as a quick

Hello Steve,

Just as a quick clarification the RV220W is a router, and you are using it as such.  I only mention that because you call it a switch once or twice and that may confuse someone trying to assist.

The bigger issue seems to be that your ISP seems to require you to VLAN tag on the WAN.  The problem is there is no way to send tagged traffic out of the WAN, as you noticed those VLAN settings are only for the LAN on the RV220W.

However the fact that you can simply plug up a computer and it works is odd as well, because as you say that would indicate the VLAN tagging is not really required. 

I would give the ISP a call and ask them if you need to VLAN tag on the WAN, or if there is some way around that.  If you connection works with PPPoE configured on the PC, and you set those same settings on the RV, it sounds like you have the RV configured correctly.

Go ahead and check with the ISP, but keep in mind there is not a way to VLAN tag on the WAN on any of the Small Business routers (except the SRPs, but those are end of life) regardless of what firmware version you are using.

Hope that helps,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Hi Chris,Thank you for your

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.  I guess the RV220W in my scenario is acting as both a switch, insofar as it is functioning as a DHCP server and allocating Private IP addresses to devices connected to my LAN so that they may communicate with each other.  It is also acting as a router, insofar as it is obtaining a routeable Public IP address from my ISP and it is intermediating all traffic over the WAN and across the NAT and back to the various devices on my LAN.

Hmmm.... Thank you for the clarification concerning VLAN tags across the WAN port.  It is clear that the HG8245 is assigning a VLAN tag across the WAN when it is acting as a router/switch (routing and switching in the same manner as the RV220W was when I was using ADSL).  When the HG8245 is acting merely as a modem, i.e. not obtaining the routable Public IP from my service provider, and I bridge that connection to an XP box, the XP box is obtaining a routable Public IP itself and, furthermore, it is able to access the internet.  Actually, just looking again at the configuration guide (which unfortunately the comments are in the Thai language - but I think you can see what settings it is advocating without understanding the Thai), I note that the VLAN tag is still input into the HG8245 (see attached).  That would suggest that the packets are being augmented with the VLAN tag when they pass through the HG8245 even when in the bridging mode.  Therefore, it seems peculiar that the RV220W can't authenticate, although that is precisely what happens - it fails to authenticate even though the XP box has no problem.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content