Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RV220w routers losing startup configuration.

Team,

We have a number of RV220W routers in the field (67), some of the routers are losing their configurations. The same as if the rest button has been pressed. We have covered the reset button and the sites are reporting that no one has used the reset button.

Are there any known issues of this router losing configuration due to too much bandwidth use or other issues? From what I can determine the router logs are erased at time of reset, so I am unable to determine if there is a System error causing the device to reboot.

• Small Business Routers
3 REPLIES
Bronze

Very interesting.  I'd take one out of service and leave it unconnected to anything for about a week and see what happens.  If it loses its config, sounds like a device issue.  If not, I'd try plugging in one thing at a time (LAN first) and try the week test again.  Then I'd try the WAN and test again.  I know on one of my rv016s, I had a problem once when I put it into production after testing and configuring it, and it immediately reset 3 times deleting all the configuration.  But this only happened once and I never could figure out why.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Green

Hi Netwolves, to my knowledge there isn't any bug reports for losing the configuration. One idea may be to set up a Syslog server so the router keeps sending logs and it stores on a machine. At least then you will see the last events leading up to the loss.

Another idea may be to conceal the routers in a locked environment to see if someone is tampering. I would really be suspicious of anyone who has access or knows a password or has the ability to guess the password. I have seen the routers lose configuration files due to power issues such as too much surge being sent... but that is an unlikely and uncommon event unless you have faulty electrical or some weird grounding/ connection for the router.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Bronze

Re: RV220w routers losing startup configuration.

Good points on the syslog server and power Tom.  I know power might have even been the factor on my rv016 now that I think about it...

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.