cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W VPN Setup

shayne.cox
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup and configure a VPN on the RV220W that uses IPSEC so I can use the Cisco VPN Client I use at work, I have gone through the user manual 11 or 12 times now but still cannot work it out. I cannot find where on the Rv200W iset up the phase 1 authentication username and password which will then lead me onto the phase 2 stage of asking for a username password to allow me access.

Does any one have a simple step by step guide to this?

Many Thanks

9 Replies 9

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Shayne, what VPN client are you using? If it is the Cisco 5.x client, it is not supported at this time.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

doug_counsil
Level 1
Level 1

Tom's right.  The only Cisco Small Business class routers that support the Cisco 5.x client are the SA500 Series routers.  I don't see them changing that because the Cisco 5.x client is nearing end of support.  If anything they would add Cisco AnyConnect support.  That's the latest, greatest VPN tech from Cisco.

We can help you setup SSL VPN (for Windows and/or Mac OSX Snow Leopard) and/or IPSec VPN (using IPSecuritas for Mac OSX and/or Shrewsoft/Quick VPN/Greenbow for Windows).  You have lots of options to get VPN access to your RV220W.  The RV220W even supports PPTP VPN which works with the Apple iPhone, iPad, etc.

Well that would explain the problems. In that case I would like to setup a PPTP VPN as I can then use it on the ipad/iphone and with some software on a desktop it would solve my problems.

I look forward to your replys.

Hi Shayne, the PPTP is quite a simplistic set up. Essentially you go to the VPN section of the router and go to the VPN users. Check the box for the PPTP server function (the router is the PPTP server). The starting and ending IP address is important. When connecting to the PPTP, the router will assign you an address from this scope. Remember, you can have 10 PPTP users, if you wish to have all 10, you need to allocate 11 addresses, 1 for the router, 10 for the users.

This is all the set up required aside from defining user names/passwords.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

That was very helpful and I managed to get a VPN connection on the iPad with your instructions, do you have some for an IPSec setup so I can use Quickvpn / Greenbow to connect and browse the network devices?

Many Thanks

Shayne

Shayne, one option you may consider because of ease of access is the SSL vpn option. The router will allow 5 SSL users and this does not require any software aside the internet browser.

The QuickVPN is use Window based computers only. The RV220W require remote management to be on port 443 or 60443. Aside from this, the QVPN is as simple as the PPTP in the sense, you create a user, specify the user type as QVPN.

As far as 3rd party clients, I personally don't have a prepared documentation for the setup (I'm not at work!).

-Tom

+1 for SSL VPN

It isn't that hard to configure, then you can use it from any/most computer(s) with any/most browser(s).  I say any/most because we can only get Windows machines and Internet Explorer to work with Cisco's SSL VPN solution.  We haven't gotten Mac OSX 10.7+ or Chrome to work.

For Mac's we used IPSecuritas until we replaced our RV220W with an SA540.  You can use the built-in VPN client in Mac OSX with the SA540.

shayne.cox
Level 1
Level 1

The main point for buying the router was to beable to use the VPN from both my Mac and Windows boxes, I have a Mac Book which I already use the VPN on to talk to the office, so when I am in the office I want to beable to talk to home securely. I want to join the VPN and then from the laptop beable to browse into my NAS storage or my other computers, I can do this from home to office and use a command line to browse from my Virtual Windows 7 on the MAC.

This is all I wanted to do at work.

Is there a video on how to setup Rv220W QuickVpn.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: