Views
Helpful
Replies

RV220W Win7 64bit, SSL VPN not working

entrol-cbenito
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have used RV220W to setup many VPNs. When we used WinXP all was fine. Now that we migrated to win7 64bit the SSL VPN connection doesn't work.

On the latest 2011 firmware release notes I see that Cisco knows about this problem. A new firmware has been out on august 2012 but they have not fixed the problem, which in my opinion is not very professional since it is an important issue which affects ALL win7 64 bit installations.

Will Cisco fix this problem in the next firmware update?

Thank you

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Camilo,

I have found more often than not, it is Window 7 and Vista security features not trusting Cisco content. To be able to get my personal Window 7 and Vista 64 bit machines to work, I have to go through a crazy little process within Windows for it to manage to connect and function. Here are the steps I performed on my Window 7 64 bit Home Premium box (I'm using right now).

The few things I did to have some success;

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Trusted Sites

• Move to low
  • Disable protected mode
  • Click sites then add the SSL VPN page to be a trusted member
  • While adding the trusted site, uncheck "Require server verification for all sites on this zone"

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security section

• Enable "Allow sofware to run or install even if the signature is invalid"

Additionally,  you should download the Microsoft Visual C++ Distribution 2010 and  ensure you're running the latest version of Java.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for the answer. I had already read about this workaround but it would be much better if Cisco fixed this with their firmware.

This workaround requires that we have internet explorer installed (which we don't have in the computers of our office). Is there any way to do this in other browsers (firefox for example)?

What I find strange is that this router works correctly on other versions of 64 bit OS (winxp 64 bits) and also works correctly on other version of windows7 (32 bit). What is the exact problem with win7 64bit? Shouldn't it work just as good as on the 32 bit version?

Thank you

Hi Camilo, I have this working also in Firefox. Basically you need to add exception for everything under Content, Privacy and Security.

You may also need to go to the Advanced - Encryption and choose View Certificate and then import a cert generated from the router.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I managed to get it working partially on firefox but the first installation has to be done from Internet Explorer 64bit. After installing it on IE it works on all browsers.

The problem is that when I close firefox after having established a SSLVPN connection, an error window appears saying that there was a "problem with Virtual Passage and it has to be closed". This is because there is an error when uninstalling the virtualpassage. After this I cannot use again the SSLVPN until I restart my computer.

Is there any fix for this?

Thank you

The tunnel adapter didn't fully uninstall when the browser is closed. You should be able to open your task manager and terminate the process. If that doesn't work, you should be able to go to your network connections and disable or delete the adapter.

-Tom

Yes, but the tunnel adapter is never uninstalled correctly from any other browser that is not internet explorer. Every time I disconnect a VPN tunnel I get this error.