Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 - DDNS - update top domain

andreig1978
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Does anybody know how can I update a top domain for the DynDNS service?

I am using my own domain name, which is being handled by DynDNS - btw, it's a little frustrating that I had to transfer it from no-ip because Cisco only supports DynDNS.

So, going to the Dynamic DNS configuration page I select: DynDNS.org and for the host name I have three fields. The documentation sais:

• Host Name—Hostname that you registered with your DDNS provider. For example, if your hostname is myhouse.dyndns.org, then enter myhouse in the first field, dyndns in the second field, and org in the last field.

The problem is that I don't want to update a hostname but the whole domain (e.g. mydomain.net not gateway.mydomain.net).

I tried:

- leaving the first field empty ->error, cannot save

- using * for the first field - saves but gives the following error: No internet connection or DDNS service is disabled

- using @ for the first field - saves but gives the following error: No internet connection or DDNS service is disabled

Thank you,

Andrei

31 Replies 31

Andrei,

I would think that the Synology would update just as reliably as the router. I used an IP camera to update for at least a year when I had a router that did not support DDNS properly. I never had any issue reaching my network from a remote location, the camera kept DynDNS.org updated reliably. Does your WAN IP change frequently?

- Marty

There is usually a good reason for firmware updates.  Unfortunately, in the smb router space, most of these firmwares (by almost any manufacturer) break things as they fix them.  Therefore, it's best to treat a firmware as a 'software feature set' and load the one that works for your application.  Newer isn't always better.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

There are always good intentions behind firmware updates.  But the reality is that a newer firmware can break a feature that was working fine.  A lot of times you have to find the firmware that has everything you need working flawlessly and just stick to that firmware.  And this is with almost any brand in the smb router space, so it's not solely a Cisco issue.

One thing I would suggest is factory defaulting your unit and the rebuilding your config from scratch.  DO NOT use any method of saving the settings and restoring them.  I've seen doing this cause problems like fields not being there on the interfaces.

andreig1978
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

At this point I will give up this issue as I'm pretty dissapointed with the Cisco support.

After a long discussion with them, starting from explanations on how I have my own domain handled by DynDNS, to links in wikipedia to explain the format of a FQDN and how it is NOT limited to third level subdomains, their conclusions are:

1. .net is not a FQDN (along with google.com)

2. they cannot understand why I'm so fixated on updating .net (when I can use gateway..net instead)

A big thank you to all the people that took the time to try to help.

Andrei

Andrei,

Please post your case number, I would like to look into this.

- Marty

Hi Marty,

Sure, the case number is 629250617.

Best,

Andrei

Andrei,

I'm sorry about the issues you are having with support.

I read the case notes and it appears that the engineer handling your case does not fully understand that other devices (including the entire Cisco SMB router lineup with the exception of the RV320/325) have a single line to enter the hostname. I am not aware of any other Cisco SMB product that uses the DDNS format of the RV320/325.

Please request that your case be escalated for a feature request to change the RV320 DDNS options to look and function like the rest of the SMB routers. If the development team knows that you (and likely others) are having a problem because of the way that the web UI is designed they will likely change it in a future firmware. If the case does not get escalated the development team will never know that you had this issue and certainly will not try to fix it.

You may also find that you can communicate your issue easier if you call support. Chat can be very good for simple questions but I think it would be better for you to speak with someone in this case. You can call and reference your case number during normal business hours (9am-6pm M-F). You will find a number for your country at the following page:

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

- Marty

Andrei,

I would also like to note that when I copied and pasted your serial number from the "Certificat de Garantie" document attached to your case, I was able to find the details in our system. It appears that you posted the wrong SN in the initial chat so you may wish to update the case owner.

- Marty

Hi Andrei,

just a small note to your problem.

Have you tried to set your own subdomain at hosting provider in case you have any?

I have also my domain and wanted to add a record which defines my public IP of the router.

As I had found that DynDNS is not for free already, I have looked at hosting provider administration site and found, I can add a record that redirects the request to my public IP.

I am sure every hosting provider does have something like that as there is an email and web redirection etc. to certain IPs.

So everytime I type remote.mydomain.com, a WEB UI of router or NAS appears. Voala, no need to use DynDNS or the router setting.

Hope this helps.

Miroslav

Use Wildcards" feature is not available on the rv320.

(this feature is only supported on RV120w, RV180x, and RV220W)

so, your case is being prepared for escalation.

Dan

Is it possible to get an update on the current status?  I am running into the same issue, and cannot figure out a way around it.   

Still looking for a solution 3 months later...

If this feature is something you critically need, try upgrading/downgrading the firmware and see if you can find one that works.  This might be a good solution until (if) Cisco fixes the issue.

I have the same problem, just purchased this router.  Any solution found yet?

As suggested I might have to use my Synology NAS to do the work.  On there no more surprises like this one :-)

-Ben

coolpass0
Level 1
Level 1

I have same problem with my custom DNS.

RV325 doesn't support custom DNS of Dyndns for the second level domain.

It's very serious. Cisco must fix this problem for SOHO.