cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 DNS stops working.

Joseph E Spoon
Level 1
Level 1

After a week or so of running, our RV320 small business router will stop processing DNS requests.  You can ping out and even the VPN connection to another site stays up for the most part, just slows down.  The main issue is that DNS will work on a machine for maybe 2 sites and then will time out consistently.  We have tried setting the DNS locally on the RV320 and changing some of the DNS parameters but the issue persists.  It seems as though rebooting the router will repair the issue for a few days but it will pick back up again.  We have gotten the router swapped out from Cisco for another RV320 and we are still having this problem.  At the moment we have a 2800 series router in place and it is working great.  Is there a documented problem with the RV320 like this.  I saw a few forums that mentioned something similar but nothing exactly like what we are experiencing.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

jamesmala
Level 1
Level 1

Since i am not sure how you have the system setup, i am going to take a guess at this. If the DNS is being fowarded to the unit and going though the firewall, does the firewall allow the DNS request from the unit. ALso is the unit able to foward the DNS to the area that it needs to.

Try and do a packet tracer and see if the device is maybe blocking the rule for some reason or maybe a box is not checked for this to happen.

Also check how much memory the unit has installed, it may need more memory to take care of this since it looks like it takes a few days to cause this problem. Also try and upgrade to the latest IOS and see if that helps at all. The 2800 is a good unit that does a lot but is an older but still reliable unit.

I will check the firewall settings again. We did have the primary DNS for the clients set to a server on the other side of the VPN originally but have since changed this for testing. I'll check the amount of memory that is installed too. I appreciate your response. The 2800 is a temporary solution. We are actually looking at c891 as a viable replacement if we can't make this work.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: