cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 loosing WAN and inter VLAN connectivity

lcole
Level 1
Level 1

I just received a new RV320 V01 router and I am having trouble with the router loosing WAN and inter VLAN connectivity. Anywhere from 2 to 24+ hours the router will stop routing traffic to/from the WAN and other VLANs on the network. I have a ping trace running on one system and all packets are lost when the routing fails to all WAN connections and systems on other VLANs. I am still able to ping all of the router address for the VLANs i.e. 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.3.1 etc. Unfortunately I only have one system on this VLAN so I do not know if I can ping other systems on the same VLAN. I also do not have any DNS resolution when the issue occurs.

The router is set up using a single ISP connection on WAN1 using DHCP assignment. WAN2 is disabled in the router settings. The router has version v1.1.1.06 firmware. I have also tried disabling VPN pass-through as noted from other posts. When the issue occurs the WAN1 connection is showing as “Connected (Inactive)” with no assigned IP address, gateway or DNS servers. The router is in gateway mode and everything works fine until the problem.

Any Ideas?

18 Replies 18

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Lance,

You noted that the WAN 1 connection has no IP address when this occurs.

What type of internet connection is it? (Cable, DSL, T1, etc)

Is the WAN port configured for DHCP?

Who is the ISP?

When the issue occurs, can devices within a subnet ping each other?

Are there any switches in the network?

Can you draw a simple topology showing the network with IP addresses, VLANs, etc?

- Marty

lcole
Level 1
Level 1

You noted that the WAN 1 connection has no IP address when this occurs.

When it occurred last, I noted the "Connected (Inactive)" on WAN1 and that there were no IP addresses assigned.  I have a screen shot of the page attached.  I had noticed the "Connected (Inactive)" previously when the problem was occurring but cannot definitely say there were no IP addresses at that time.  I do not recall if I noticed this before or after I had disconnected the WAN1 to test a direct PC to modem connection.  I did check with the cable company and there are no issues being noted or logged on my connection.  The direct PC to modem connection worked fine.

What type of Internet connection is it? (Cable, DSL, T1, etc)

The connection is Cable

Is the WAN port configured for DHCP?

The WAN port is configured for DHCP

Who is the ISP?

The ISP is the local cable company

When the issue occurs, can devices within a subnet ping each other?

As I noted in the original post, at the time I was on a VLAN that only had one system running to monitor ping traces.  I will try again next time the problem occurs to have multiple devices on the same network.

Are there any switches in the network?

Yes, there is a switch in the system.  I am using a cisco SG200-26.  However, the problem persists even when I directly connected a PC to the active LAN port on the router.  No issue when the PC was dirrectly connected to the modem.

Can you draw a simple topology showing the network with IP addresses, VLANs, etc?

See attached

Lance,

Thank you for the detailed response. I see no issues with your LAN configuration. Based on the fact that WAN 1 is "Connected (Inactive)" and the IP is 0.0.0.0, it looks like maybe the DHCP lease expired and did not renew. See if you can get the lease time on the modem changed to 10 minutes and see if it fails to renew. If it does, ask the ISP to change the lease time to forever and the problem is solved.

It may be helpful to connect your PC to the modem, get online, then clone the MAC address of the PC to the router's WAN 1 port. We see a lot of cases where a modem will give an IP address to a PC without issue but when a router requests an IP it fails. By cloning the MAC we trick the modem into thinking that the PC is requesting DHCP when it is really the router. (I know this doesn't sound like it makes any sense but we do it multiple times every day and it gets a lot of customers online)

- Marty

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Interesting problem.  Does a reboot of the router solve it?

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Yes, a reboot or power cycle will fix the problem for the short term.  It typically will reoccur but the frequency range of reoccurrence is very broad couple of hours to couple of days.  I have not had a chance to try Marty's suggestion of resetting the MAC addresss to that of a PC.  Been waiting for the issue to occur again. 

I did fully reset the router, switch and wap back to factory defaults and I current only have the default network enabled for all.  No VLANs and minimal configuration changes.  It has been working since.  Plan on adding one VLAN tomorrow and further test.  Also noticed the problem typically occures during periods of high network traffic.  Ping times to several external servers slowly increase in response time, start to periodically timeout then fail 100% over a period of a couple to a few hours.

Great diagnostic work so far.

I'd try putting the PC MAC address as soon as you can to see if that solves some of the issues you're seeing.  My hunch is that it won't, but it definitely won't hurt to try.

If it seems to work fine in default mode, then there is probably something wrong in the firmware causing a memory leak (which is so common on these routers) that eventually halts the process until a reboot.

Now the good news is, there's probably a way to configure the router around this bug which will give it much more stable operation.  Otherwise, a simple daily reboot might just be the easiest solution.

lcole
Level 1
Level 1

Found if I enable the DMZ that the WAN2 port becomes the DMZ port.  I then made sure to disable the DMZ port.  Everything has been working for three days.  With DMZ disabled you have the two WAN ports with only the option of either load balancing or fail over.  No specific option not use WAN2 other than disabling the port.  I think the router was either trying to load balance or fail over even though there is not a connection to WAN2 port and the port was disabled.  By enabling the DMZ load balancing and fail over are not applicable.  I think, probably just jinxed myself.

Lance,

It seems like you may have discovered a bug, although I have not seen any similar reports.

If you confirm your suspicions, please open a case and report it so the development team is aware and can begin working on a resolution for a future firmware.

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

- Marty

Awesome!  I somehow recall having to do something similar on an rv042 which has the same wan2/dmz setup.  Either way, you're up and running now.     

Hello Lance,

You should be able to disable the port under the Port Management -> Port Setup Tab. You can click on the "Disable" radio button in front of the WAN 2 interface to disable the port.

Hope this helps.

Nagaraja

The WAN2 port was disabled. 

As a test I turned the DMZ off again and made sure the WAN2 port was disabled as you noted.  Within a few hours I started to have problems with the network and within 4 hours the router froze.  Reset the router, turned on the DMZ and made sure the DMZ port was disabled.  No issues since but it has only been a couple hours.  It had been running for almost 10 days and working fine. 

Looks like this will be how I leave it configured until I add the second WAN line in a couple of months.  Hope there are not other issues that will surface at that time...

Same problems on a few RV320 hardware version 3 software Latest Release 1.4.2.17. Will try this workaround.

No luck - 2-3 hours then router disappears till next reboot. 

I'm having the same issue. Did you resolve this issue. if so, can you tell me please?