cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 - Slow upload speeds

jamesmcanally
Level 1
Level 1

I have been using the RV 320 for sometime now and have noticed that speed test, either java or flash, such as at speed test.net yields slow upload speed. In this case, it is a 25/5 service that the test would read 25/1 to 2.
I would put on a Netgear R6300 and see the speed test much closer to 25/5.

I do not have any special rules. I have tried with and without SPI and there was no difference. Consequently, upgrading the firmware yielded the same results.

Is anyone else seeing this?

TIA

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

7 Replies 7

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

James,

What type of internet access do you have? If it is DSL, try lowering the MTU to 1492 on the WAN port.

You might also try connecting something between the RV320 and the modem. (unmanaged switch, LAN ports on the Netgear) If the speed increases there may be a negotiation issue between the RV320 and the modem.

Please reply and let us know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

- Marty

Hi and thank you for the reply.

The service is a cable service.

I have checked the port info and there are no crc errors for any ports used.
I have also changed port speed on the router to no avail. There were no reported errors in any case.

I have the modem connected to WAN 1. I have Cisco SG300-10 as an aggregate connected to port 4 of the RV320. There are no errors, crc or other, on the port info.

James

James,

As a test can you place the SG300 between the RV320 and modem? It is strange that the Netgear works fine but there is an issue with the Cisco. If you connect your PC directly to the modem is the speed normal?

- Marty

Ok, the test sounds like a great idea. It will be a few days before I can try. But after I do, I will post results.

Thanks for the feedback.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I've seen this type of thing before.  Set your WAN port to 100 full-duplex manually on the rv and see what happens.  Weird stuff like this happens when the ports aren't matched to the right speed/duplex.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Antti Jarvinen
Level 1
Level 1

I had this problem also. My bandwidth from ISP is somewhat 100/50Mbit/s. One day I noticed that I could only reach upload speeds of 10-20Mbit/s even though before I could reach full 50Mbit/s. Download bandwidth was the same as always, near 100Mbit/s.. Thought, that this was an issue on ISP side and didn't do anything for a while..

But after few months of 50% upload bandwidth, this really started to annoy me, so I decided to do something about it. I started debuggin this issue with a laptop connected directly to ISP-router and also via all the cables that were in place at that time. Noticed, that I could get full upload and download speed with my laptop so then I started to point my finger at that RV320.

Downloaded the newest firmware (1.3.2.02), I had v. 1.2.1.14 installed. Didn't help anything. Reseted the box to factory defaults -> no help.
Changed ISP router from WAN2 to WAN1 -> no help.
Changed negotiate link speed automaticly to 100Mbit full, half, etc -> no help.
Then finaly noticed, that even though the speed was set to AUTO -> I could only get 100Mbit though with Laptop I had 1Gbit with same cables.

Started replacing the cabling and after I had replaced all of those -> Cisco RV320 negotiated 1Gbit speeds with ISP-router and after that the upload speed came back to near 50MBit/s.

So, in short.. Go through every freaking cable even though you might have a fully working connection when testing with another device... ;)

Glad you figured it out.  Like I said, weird stuff happens when speed/duplex don't match.