Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 SPI/DDOS function

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

Hey there all,

As a huge fan of the RV320 router (been using it for over 6 months now), i was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Firewall features like SPI and DOS. Does any of these really improve security and/or necessary? has anyone tested throughput with and without these features? Ive been noticing better performance on the router when both functions are disabled.

Greetings.

6 Replies 6

mohabdel
Level 1
Level 1

Either you didnt understand my question or something else is missing here but I didnt ask if the router has these features, since i already know that. I asked if it would hit performance: "Does any of these really improve security and/or necessary? has anyone tested throughput with and without these features? Ive been noticing better performance on the router when both functions are disabled."

Using an  RV325.  initially had SPI  off, because of  slow  web browsing  issues,  but that was  rectified with the latest Firmware  update. 

Switched  on  SPI and  have  not  noticed  any  degradation in performance. 

Good to know :) However, i dont see a reason to enable SPI right now, I do have DOS protection enabled on the RV32x.

Was experimenting with it today and it indeed seems to be a lot better now :) So I enabled both SPI and DOS protection on the RV :)

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Michiel,

SPI and DoS protection do improve security and also impact performance. Stateful Packet Inspection usually causes the processor to work the hardest, thus impacting throughput. Wikipedia has some good simple information about Stateful Packet Inspection and Denial of Service attacks. It is up to you to decide whether or not these features are useful in your case. If you are running a web server of any kind I would recommend that you at least enable DoS prevention.

- Marty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: