cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 WAN1, DMZ and PPPoE

supersupport
Level 1
Level 1

Hello fellow routing and switching enthusiasts.

Looks like the RV320 firmware version 1.0.2.23 (release 1 Mar 2013) doesn't seem to automatically disable all settings which should be disabled, after WAN2 is swapped for DMZ - and this becomes obvious only if WAN1 is configured for PPPoE.

Initial conditions:

1) Configure ADSL modem/router/firewall to be a modem only, and connect to WAN1 port on RV320.

2) Configure WAN2 as a DMZ

3) Configure WAN1 to use PPPoE

4) Wait several minutes in case authentication was taking several attempts to succeed.

Symptoms of Problem:

a) System Summary -> IPv4 tab -> WAN1 IP Address and Default Gateway were still 0.0.0.0

b) Log -> System Statistics -> WAN1 IP Address and Default Gateway still 0.0.0.0

c) Log -> Processes -> ntpclient had local address = ISP assigned IP external address    <------- very interesting indeed !

d) Attempt to access internet via LAN ports fails.

The fact that the ntpclient had the ISP assigned IP external address confirmed that the DSL modem was doing its thing, and that the RV320's PPPoE function was correctly authenticating, but not routing.

Solution:

(After a lot of failed attempts to identify what was causing this...)

I manually unchecked the  setting: System Management -> Dual WAN -> WAN1 (edit) -> [  ] Network Service Detection.

As soon as I manually disabled this setting and saved it, the routing tables were almost instantaneously updated / made available, and NAT functions succeeded and allowed clients connected to LAN ports to access to the internet via the RV320.

Hope this helps someone.

1 Reply 1

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Peter,

Thank you for reaching Small Business Support Community.

It is a very interesting case of yours and I am glad you managed to come up with a solution and this is definitely going to help others like myself when facing a similar scenario. I am going to pass the word over the Cisco development team so they can check this out.

My only suggestion at this point is to upgrade to the latest firmware release v.1.1.0.09 which resolves some identified issues, please check on the release notes and download site;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv320/release_notes/rv32x_relnote_v1.1.0.09.pdf

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284005929&flowid=43302&softwareid=282465789&release=1.1.0.09&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

We, the Cisco Support Community, are very thankful for your commitment and effort to help us improve the Cisco products and please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is anything I may assist you with in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: