cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325: EXTREMELY slow internet connection

SteveG___
Level 1
Level 1

(I apologise in advance for posting this as a separate topic while I initially replied in a similar one but this has since started to affect my business)

I have an internet connection that does 200mbps. My ISP has an internal speedtest (to guarantee that "nothing internet" comes in between and you are testing the "LAN" connection). With my laptop connected directly to the modem I get 185mbps. With my old router (100mbps port) I get 80mbps. 

Hoping for awesome results - since I specifically bought it for its gigabit wan ports - I ran the test again with the RV325 in between. The download speed stalled at 25mbps! (So for clarity: 1/8th of the max speed and 3 times slower than my previous router).

In bandwidth management I've changed both up and downstream numbers to 1.000.000 (it won't go higher) and I do not have any rules, so it should be disabled and hopefully deliver full bandwidth to any device. Unfortunately this does not help a bit. 

The port is connected @ 1gbps to my modem, my laptop is connected  @ 1gbps to the router and I'm running firmware 1.1.1.06

I really hope there is something I missed here, because I'm greatly disappointed so far. 

24 Replies 24

adelano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi SteveG,

The RV32x (fw - 1.1.1.06) has demonstrated capability of 800+ mbps WAN to LAN throughput in testing. If you are not getting full throughput from your WAN connection, there are other possible causes.

Have you:

1 - Tried lowering the MTU on the WAN interface?

2 - Checked the speed and duplex settings on the provider device and verified they match the RV32x?

Thank you for your answer.

The modem is connecting at 1Gbps full duplex, which is the correct setting according to the ISP.

However: I tried restarting the router and it now seems to utilise the full speed (minus about 5Mb/s).

Can you tell me if the values you need to enter in bandwidth management are in kiloBYTE per second or kiloBIT? The prefilled values seem to indicate its kbytes, but the unit used is official for BITs (kB/s would be kbytes).

I suppose they don't really matter since I have the management disabled, but correct values are cool :)

edit: So the max throughput only lasted a couple hours and since I haven't been able to get it back. Its been 30Mbps ever since

Hi SteveG,

Glad to hear the throughput issue is solved.

The values for upstream and downstream in Bandwidth Management are entered in kilobits per second (kb/s)

Thanks.

Another thing you could always also try is disabling SPI, DOS under firewall. Basically disabling everything there except Firewall itself and Upnp.

Everything that can be disabled is disabled. But then I think, if that were the solution, what good would a device of that price be if you had to disable all security to actually make full use of your speed?

Im running a RV320 myself and Im getting upto 896Mbps from WAN <> LAN so i have no clue why you are not getting that.

So obviously because you don't have an issue, nobody else should have one either right? Have you even looked at the other replies in this thread before posting something like that?

Who says im saying that nobody else could have an issue?
Im purely telling what I have set and that it seems to work for me.

Also FYI, i did reply already 27 days ago so yes i have read the full discussion.

Now the next step is to create a support ticket on this and get Cisco to look at it.

Michiel I apologise for misreading your response. I am just pretty pissed at cisco because it's not one of the cheapest routers out there and usually it is very good material. Still that is no excuse for reacting so hostile.

Cisco won't have whining from my end anymore, I put it in a box somewhere and replaced it by a simple home router as I posted below.  

ciscozboy
Level 1
Level 1

respect to the effect on business.  same here with my wrvs4400n that proudly displays gb wan/lan connections.  so frustrating.  make sure ips is disabled as mine can evaluate (if elected) http, ftp, telnet and rpc data which can have a dramatic effect on flow.  you said bandwidth is disabled, so that's out of the way.  are you blocking any cookies, java or activex?  how about the L2 switch/port settings, i tell it what i want and eliminate the auto-negotiation (maybe no effect but, i do it) because i view it as unnecessary chit-chat!  try flashing the latest firmware again, reset to factory defaults and reboot to see if that helps... it can't hurt.  if it improves, leave it alone until the next issue.  if you must, add back any changes you made previously from the defaults one at a time, to determine functionality, until you change something to create your bottleneck again.  just ideas.

it's the standard security features of the router, even at the minimal settings it has to converse with everything (almost).  someone knocks on the door, it has to think, make decisions, find it's weapon of choice and examine your request for the guest.  no ticky no laundry.  maybe it needs new eye wear so it's not so fuzzy looking through the peephole!  just like humans, some days they perform better than others.   heaven help us all with the advancement of technology.  wish i'd be around for the star trek era, when technology flattens out, can't get any faster and runs perfect?  the humor helps me live through it.

dwalsh801
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Just purchased and am trying to install an RV325 which is intended to replace an RV082.  I am using a single WAN cable with Comcast with a dynamic IP.  My issue is slightly different from SteveG's in that my download speeds with RV325 are averaging around 1-1.5 Mbps on a connection that gets 30 Mbps when connected directly to a pc or a different router.  The odd thing is my upload speed is completely typical at 5 Mbps.Thus on my asymmetrical connection I am getting 5x faster upload speeds than download speeds, when it should be the other way around. 

I have installed the latest firmware. 1.1.1.06. and gone back with factory defaults and the basic set up wizard thinking that I blew a setting somewhere, but still no luck. Ultimately this router would be setup with static WAN address, but before I set that and LAN side up I wanted to put it through it's paces and right now I am stumped.

Thanks, Doug

Just curious if anyone has come up with solution to this problem. I also recently purchased the RV325 and connected it to a network with a modem in bridge mode and download speeds just plummeted. I have done in the past with several different routers and have never had this issue. When I connect back to a different router,connect directly without bridge mode speeds are normal. I even tried a new modem and the same thing happened. I have followed all of the previous discussion recommendations and have essentially eliminated all other services on the router including the firewall and can not get speeds at the same rate before using this router. The firmware is up to date, and I've even tried it with only one device on the network so there were no bandwidth issue. Any thoughts would be helpful prior to possibly returning the router.

I sure as hell haven't... for me it is still 35mbps via the router vs 195mbps directly connected to the modem. This thing is a major piece of cr*p and I'm probably going to throw it out pretty soon.

SteveG___
Level 1
Level 1

Congratulations CISCO... because of your excellent support and smb devices you've just been replaced by an Asus Gigabit router... One that does about 95% of my max internet speed without all the hassle!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: