cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 Logs Have Stopped Working!

FabSuite IT
Level 1
Level 1

I have a RV325 at one of our office locations and recently I began to notice that the all the logs constantly stop.  I can reinitiate the logs by unchecking the options and then saving, followed by checking the desired logging options and then saving.  However, the logs will randomly stop recording.  Sometimes it stops after a few minutes and other times it stops after a few hours.  I verified that the latest firmware is installed and cannot find any indication that the device recognizes that there is an error, only the symptom that an error exists due to the logs stopping.  What could be the root cause of this issue?

3 Replies 3

Iliya Gatsev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

My name is Iliya Gatsev from Cisco Technical Support Team.

Please open a case with Cisco Technical Support. Here is the contact of the technical support :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Iliya Gatsev
Cisco TAC Network Engineer
Together we are the human network .:|:.:|:. CISCO

I am used to not getting support from Cisco, so I don't even bother complaining anymore. Two RV325 upgrades ago I noticed the logs stopped working. I knew I wouldn't get a solution from Cisco. I knew the whole thing would be so aggravating and trying I just reverted back to the previous level. I am in the process of tossing the RV325 in favor of Ubiquiti gear, but that is in no way easy. I am having a problem where the RV325 is behind the Ubiquiti USG and I am getting (really -- search on it!) "martian source" errors. It would appear the RV325 is "echoing" traffic to the uplink (the USG). This "martian" nomenclature is not Ubiiquiti's; I think it's Linux; search on it if you don't believe me! ANYWAY, today, looking possibly for a "fix" from Cisco for this problem, I checked to see if there was an upgrade past the last Cisco RV325 upgrade I tried, and there was. So I tried it. It seemed to work acceptably, until I noticed the logs were gone, and then it dawned on me that this was the main reason I reverted back the last time. I reverted back this time too. I want my logs, although I will have to get them another way if I successfully rid myself of the RV325. (Maybe I can end up with a 16-port managed switch.) In any case, THIS IS ABOUT A YEAR AFTER THIS PROBLEM WAS REPORTED, and Cisco is still serving up the same bug. I will be happy to take the RV325 out of service, and I will be very pleased if I can get the Ubiquiti UniFi suite of products to do things well. It's a nontrivial learning curve. But it offers a much better firewall and seems to have no practical limits on the number of entities you can define. There's a huge amount of help online including YouTube how-to videos. If I sound bitter, it's because I was so happy when I got the RV325 but with the lack of support and the bugs, I just want to get as far away from Cisco as possible. Maybe Cisco rocks when it comes to enterprise-level routing, their academy software, etc., but they've either intentionally dumbed down the RV325 or kept its memory too low or their CPU too slow OR SOMETHING to bring in artificial limits. Some of these limits can be "worked around" (e.g., number of IP & Mac Binding entries), but that shouldn't be necessary.

rvatalaro
Level 1
Level 1

I made a long post that was unflattering to Cisco about this bug which is still present more than a year after it appeared, and the post will appear here when "approved."  Surprisingly, last time I looked it was here, so apparently it was "approved."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: