cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 won't boot

rleffew01
Level 1
Level 1

Bought a new RV325, programmed it, then went to update firmware. Firmware never finished updating after waiting 4 hours. Diag blinking red the whole time.

Power cycled, power blinking green, diag steady red -- over an hour. Power cycled a couple times, tried "reset" button too. Nothing.

Advice?

Thanks,

Roy.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

boayers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello my name is Patrick with the Cisco Small Business eSupport team. It seems there is a possibility that your firmware became corrupted during the upgrade. You can recover the firmware via TFTP by trying the following procedures:

1. Power off the device

2. Hold down the reset button and power on the device. Make sure you continue to hold down the reset button for at least 10 seconds or until the DIAG LED lights solid red.

3. Now connect your PC to the LAN1 port of the device.

4. Configure your PC to have a static IP address of 192.168.1.100

5. Now you may upload the firmware to the device with Windows TFTP tools. To enable the Windows TFTP client navigate to "Turn Windows features on or off" in the control panel and check the checkbox for TFTP Client.

For example, you may open up the command prompt and enter the command:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put RV32X_v1.2.1.13_20150504-code.bin

6. After you enter this command, the device should reboot itself and firmware should be installed

You can find the latest firmware for download here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/routers/rv325-dual-gigabit-wan-vpn-router/model.html#~tab-downloads

Let me know how this goes for you. If you have more questions feel free to ask away.

Best,

Patrick Ayers

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

jbattist
Level 1
Level 1

rleffew01.

boayers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello my name is Patrick with the Cisco Small Business eSupport team. It seems there is a possibility that your firmware became corrupted during the upgrade. You can recover the firmware via TFTP by trying the following procedures:

1. Power off the device

2. Hold down the reset button and power on the device. Make sure you continue to hold down the reset button for at least 10 seconds or until the DIAG LED lights solid red.

3. Now connect your PC to the LAN1 port of the device.

4. Configure your PC to have a static IP address of 192.168.1.100

5. Now you may upload the firmware to the device with Windows TFTP tools. To enable the Windows TFTP client navigate to "Turn Windows features on or off" in the control panel and check the checkbox for TFTP Client.

For example, you may open up the command prompt and enter the command:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put RV32X_v1.2.1.13_20150504-code.bin

6. After you enter this command, the device should reboot itself and firmware should be installed

You can find the latest firmware for download here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/routers/rv325-dual-gigabit-wan-vpn-router/model.html#~tab-downloads

Let me know how this goes for you. If you have more questions feel free to ask away.

Best,

Patrick Ayers

Hi, I desperately need some help as I have the same problem but the resolution isn't working. I've had my RV325 working fine for about 6 months, then the VPN started having problems and wasn't connecting. I couldn't get logging to turn on to help diagnose the problem at all, so checked if there was a firmware upgrade, which I found @version 1.3.1.10 so I downloaded that and then tried to do the firmware upgrade through the browser.

I tried multiple times but it never seemed to take it.

So I rebooted the router, only to find the diag light was now on red and the pwr light is flashing green.

So after a couple of hard resets (to be sure) I tried the process of hooking up my laptop as IP 192.168.1.100 to lan port 1, and tftp'ing the file to the router @192.168.1.1. But every time it times out.

I can ping 192.168.1.1, but there doesn't seem to be anything listening to the TFTP requests.

I'm temporarily using an old WRVS4400N to get network access while I get this resolved, but I need to get all of my VPN access back urgently and need your assistance to resolve the problem.

I've been doing further testing while waiting for a reply. After a reboot, I can ping 192.168.1.1 and get a reply, and the router is acting as a switch for local traffic without a problem. As soon as I try and TFTP a new image to the router (and I've tried several different images with the same result), after the tftp times out then is stops responding to pings altogether.

I've tried the 30-30-30 method a couple of times as well and that doesn't appear to do anything either.

I'm really stuck now and need help with a solution.

Regards

Dave

This is the same problem I am having.  I am completely locked out of the device.  It won't accept tftp nor any reset attempts.  Guess I have to call Cisco to see if I can get a return. Such BS.

Hi Patrick,

I just wanted to thank you for this solution. https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-routers/rv325-won-t-boot/m-p/2766799#M30244. I used it to get into my RV325 after a self-signed certificate sabotaged the login to the admin management utility. After downgrading to an earlier firmware (RV32X_v1.3.1.12_20160427-code.bin) I gained access to the management utility and deleted my self-signed certificate. Then I upgraded to the latest firmware and logged in without any problems. While your solution was used for a different problem, it solved a problem that I've been seeing all over the forums. Thanks Again,

Eric

For the curious, it is possible to do this on Ubuntu, since TFTP is a standard protocol (I was using Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.3).

Ubuntu PC IP Settings:

1. IP Address: 192.168.1.100
  2. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  3. Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Once done, do the following steps:

1. Go to this webpage to download the latest firmware for the Cisco RV325 (by default this will place the firmware .bin file in /home/<your username>/Downloads where "<your username>" is... well, your username)
  2. Open the Terminal
  3. Type cd /home/<your username>/Downloads and press Enter.
  4. Install the TFTP client by typing: sudo apt install tftp
  5. Type: tftp 192.168.1.1 and press Enter - this will take you to an interactive TFTP prompt.
  6. At the tftp prompt, type binary and press Enter, then type put <Cisco Firmware Filename> (for example, put RV32X_v1.4.2.22_20190402-code.bin) and press Enter. It will look like nothing is happening, but in fairly short order you should see some Terminal output that says something like Sent 36139008 bytes in 6.9 seconds
  7. At the tftp prompt, type quit and press Enter.

Leave the router alone to do it's thing. It will figure it out.

I am have same issue with the cisco RV325. I went down through the instructions that were given. I power on the cisco while holding the reset button. Then connected a pc with tftp enabled to port 1 on the cisco. I configured the NIC to IP 192.168.1.100 subnet 255.255.255.0 GW 192.168.1.1.  I am able to ping the GW ip so this tells me I am connected to the cisco. I then open cmd and run the following command C:\>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put RV32X_v1.5.1.05_20191001-code.bin and press enter. The pc then seems to be uploading the file but then I will get a message back on the cmd "Timeout occurred Connection request failed"

when this occurs I try to ping the router or GW IP and it times out. If I don't run the command the pings will not time out. 

Can someone please assist me with figuring this out.

I'm on a Mac and my RV325 got interrupted during Firmware update, I've pretty much-been try for hours using the terminal to get this up and running. 

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put /Users/gekjr/Desktop/update/RV32X_v1.4.2.22_20190402-code.bin

rleffew01
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Patrick. This worked perfectly and your instructions were right on the money!

i have just buy new my RV325 and upgrade firmware and configure it. 

It was working suddenly stop responding. I tried with restart, reset and 30-30-30 process but failed. When power on green power led slid, DIAG led slid red, VPN led also flashing with red and orange color and also USB and DMZ/WAN led slid on. When I connect pc or laptop with rv325 LAN port 1 or any port it not working. It not showing any connectivity and not pinging.

How can I resolve it anybody help

Thanks

JeH
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

even though this is old and solved, I want to add some of my observations for other to help.

When you successfully went through firmware recovery but still having problems booting the RV325, it might be worth switching out the power supply and try again.

I bought an RV325 online that was sold "not working". Firmware recovery via TFTP was fine but when booting, all ethernet port led's were blinking like crazy and the router never fully booted. It would end up with all ethernet ports lit solid green and eventually power cycling.

After using a replacement power supply all works fine!

Good luck...

I found a little different fix that worked. I used a software and port 69
to put the firmware back on to the device. This worked for me. Thanks for
your help.

I'm going crazy with this thing.  It won't accept tftp commands, I can ping the device and it responds, I can get to the UI via 192.168.1.1:8007 with password cisco/cisco and it flashed and just keep returning to the login page.  

I've tried everything except some software that pushes the firmware through port 69 that Pricefloyd mentioned.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I found the solution (thanks to pricefloyd post) but it requires a program.  The details can be found here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb4890-workaround-for-inaccessibility-of-gui-after-firmware-version.html

Basically, If you lock yourself out of the router, you use the tftp32 program that can talk to the router via port 69.

Any other method I tried didn't work as the router would not connect via tftp and the command line.

The attached link has screenshots that will walk you through this in 5 minutes.  Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: