Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS 4000 List of IP Reservations

jcastravet
Level 1
Level 1

Firmware 1.3.0.5

The other day I decided to make a couple of new entries to my list of reservations. When I entered the name I mistakenly used ( and ). I got a warning messaage listing the characters that are not allowed in names. I clicked the OK button in that warning message and instead of letting me correct the problem, the entire list of existing reservations was cleared and the router rebooted.

After the reboot I had no choice but to start rebuilding my list of IP reservations. About half way thru the process I got another warning, telling me that the IP address I just added already existed. When I clicked the OK button, again, instead of letting me go back and correct the IP address, the entire list of reservations was once again cleared and the router rebooted.

Clearly this is a bug in the firmware. These kinds of errors should allow the user to go back and correct the problem instead of clearing the entire list of reservations and rebooting. It is very frustrating.

Is this a known issue? I did look at the Release Notes for the newer 1.3.1.0 firmware but I did not see anything there like the bug I encountered.

John

1 Reply 1

rwagner
Level 1
Level 1

This sounds like a new router so the first thing I would do is make sure your model number isn't in the cisco dumpster:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9923/ps9928/end_of_life_notice_c51-577239.html

If your model is listed and you just purchased the router you may want to replace it.  If you have had it for awhile then ignore that option as it is not anyway going to help you.

From your description I am going to assume that you did this setup from the GUI.  If this is true then the likely issue was not so much with the cisco firmware, but with how the GUI interacts with the device.  The fastest/easiest solution may be to reset the device to factory defaults and then just re-enter the data.  If the GUI got in a bad command, i.e. something that would of been rejected from the command line directly, then that floating (and) is the bad guy and a reset will make it go away.

Normally I would then suggest to go in and manually look thru the device via the command line, but I couldn't find the resource doc on it for you so maybe it doesn't have one.

I would consider what you have "partially-bricked".

Cisco is currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: